1. HEAD-ON: A rough German masterpiece about two lost Turks transformed by love.
2. GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK: Clooney's stunning, stirring tribute to a brave journalist.
3. KINGS AND QUEEN: Exhilaratingly unpredictable French gem about the havoc wreaked by a bourgeois femme fatale.
4. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN: Ang Lee's devastating gay love story of the New West. A watershed.
5. THE BEST OF YOUTH: This Italian epic follows two brothers from '66 to now. It's six hours. You don't want it to end.
6. CAPOTE: Smart, unblinking portrait of a charming, ruthless genius.
7. CACHE: This chillingly ambiguous thriller shows a French couple under siege. Is the enemy without or within?
8. MUNICH: Spielberg's tense, disturbing study of terrorism and reprisal.
9. THE SQUID AND THE WHALE: Painfully funny comedy of a bookish family's self-destructing.
10. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE: Small-town hero or savage gangster? Cronenberg's tight, provocative teaser.