Big Shots: This Week's News in Photos

Social Democrat Unrest
Bucharest, Romania—Thousands of protesters used their phones to project the colors of the Romanian flag during an anti-government demonstration on February 12. About 50,000 people marched in freezing weather on the 13th day of protests that accused the Social Democrat government of trying to weaken anti-corruption laws. Over 500,000 people took to the streets a week earlier, the largest public protests in the country since the fall of Communism in 1989. Vadim Ghirda/AP

Unsigned Opinion Washington, D.C.—Supreme Court Justice nominee Neil Gorsuch opens a door that had swung shut on his escorts while meeting with Republican Sen. Roger Wicker on February 10. Earlier in the week, Gorsuch voiced mild criticism for President Trump, the man who nominated him, calling his comments “disheartening” and “demoralizing,” after the president called the federal judge who blocked his travel ban on Twitter a “so-called judge.” J. Scott Applewhite/AP Home Is Where the Bark Is Greenville, South Carolina—On January 20, Nazanin Zinouri, a Clemson graduate and an engineer at a U.S. tech company, went to Iran to visit her family. But when she tried to return, Zinouri was one of thousands from seven majority-Muslim countries caught up in President Donald Trump’s travel ban. After a federal judge put the president’s orders on hold, Zinouri returned to the U.S. on February 6, where her friends—and her dog Dexter—greeted her at the Greenville Spartanburg Airport. Sean Rayford/Getty The Tide That Binds Farewell Spit, New Zealand—It was an uplifting coda to an otherwise tragic week. In two separate incidents, hundreds of whales died after beaching themselves in the shallow waters of Golden Bay at the tip of New Zealand’s South Island. Volunteers left on the night of February 11, worried that the hundreds of stranded, surviving whales would meet a similar fate. When they returned the next day, however, most had made it out to sea. “They self-rescued,” Herb Christophers, a spokesman for New Zealand's Department of Conservation, told Reuters. “The tide came in and they were able to float off and swim out to sea.” Volunteers later helped the remaining animals rejoin their pod. Anthony Phelps/Reuters