Fantasia Barrino has fanjayas of her own. The ex-"Idol" champ helped sell $1.2 million in tickets her first week in Broadway's "The Color Purple." She spoke to NEWSWEEK after Wednesday's matinee (and before last week's "Idol" elimination).
1. She's no 'Idol' expert. "The kids are not going to let Sanjaya go nowhere. I have my favorite. But I don't know his name. He's a white guy, and he's really cute."
2. She's single. "I'm patiently waiting, because you never know who's out there for you. Right now, 'The Color Purple' is my man."
3. She has a car fetish. "I just bought a red Mercedes. I thought about bringing it to New York, but I worried I'd mess up my tires."
4. She has braces. "You couldn't tell? A lot of people can't see them. I'm supposed to get them off, but I miss my appointments because I forget. I'm getting an assistant soon."
5. She's not jealous of Jennifer Hudson. "I auditioned for 'Dreamgirls' and made it to the screen test. They called and said I didn't get it. I was like, 'Oh, no!' But when they said Jennifer got it, I felt a whole lot better. We're still friends. I was happy for her. She got an Oscar!"