It is now 40 years since Kissinger went on his secret mission to China. Since then he has visited the country more than 50 times. And if there is one thing he has learned, it is this: the real fool’s errand is to lean on the Chinese.
In the aftermath of the raid on Abbottabad, all the big questions need to be answered by Pakistan. The old flimflam (“Who, us? We knew nothing!”) just isn’t going to wash, must not be allowed to wash by countries such as the United States.
1. Two helicopters drop SEAL Team Six in an open area inside the high walls. One crashes and is later blown up.
2. The SEALs spread around the compound, securing the open areas and a small building.
3. Troops then move to the main house. Two of bin Laden’s couriers and one woman are killed.
4. The firefight continues as SEALs move to the second and third floors, where bin Laden’s family lived. On the third floor, they find bin Laden and kill him with shots to the chest and head. Bin Laden’s son Hamza is also killed.
5. The team flies out, taking bin Laden’s body, documents, and computers.
The New Mexico–born Anwar al-Awlaki, a Colorado State grad, seems best positioned to lead Al Qaeda’s response to the new Arab world order. He will doubtless play a bigger ideological role going forward.
One of bin Laden’s followers wrote that the trouble with democracy is that it encourages people to love life too much and fear death, and to become unwilling to perform jihad. What bin Laden and that writer fail to understand is that there are people who do love life but who love freedom more and are willing to risk their lives for it.
1971 Falun, Sweden
In his Al Qaeda biography, Osama bin Laden claimed never to have left the Middle East. But here he is, second from right, with 21 other members of the wealthy Saudi clan on a family trip to Sweden, where one of the elder brothers was doing business with Volvo. The image of a young Osama, smiling in blue bell-bottoms and a chartreuse sweater, belies the darker shadow of his adult self, bearded and in military garb, hiding in caves and orchestrating violence around the globe. DNA from one of Osama’s sisters was used to identify the terrorist leader’s body after Sunday’s successful raid.
Nearly a decade after the Sept. 11 attacks, U.S. officials say terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden had been targeted and killed by American forces. A look back at Newsweek's coverage of a man who was once the most wanted in the world.