12-Year-Old Shot Dead Answering Knock at the Door in His Philadelphia Home

A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed while answering the door of his Philadelphia home on Sunday.

Sadeek Clark-Harrison died from a single shot to the head fired through a front-door window around 2:45 a.m. in the city's Frankford neighborhood, police said.

Officers arrived within minutes of the shooting at the 5000 block of Ditman Street to find the boy, identified by family members as Clark-Harrison, bleeding from his mouth, Deputy Commissioner Melvin Singleton told reporters.

Clark-Harrison was at home with his grandmother and 10-year-old sister when there was a knock at the door. None are believed to be the intended target, the deputy commissioner said.

"[The shooter] could not have had any idea of who is on the other side of that door," Singleton said.

"All we know at this time is that there was a knock at the door. No descriptions of any persons at the door. One shot was fired. We do have on the porch of the location one nine millimeter shell casing on the porch. And that's all we know at this particular point in time."

Paramedics pronounced Clark-Harrison dead at the scene just after 3 a.m.

His mother, Lisa Clark, now wants justice for her youngest son.

"They took my baby away from me. He was a good boy," she told ABC6 Action News. "That's my king, my son, my star, my moon, my shine... they took it away from me. They dimmed the light on me when they took my son away from me."

Clark also claimed the shooter called her son's name before the attack.

"I'm disgusted that someone would come to my door, late at night, and shoot him," she told NBC10 Philadelphia. "They were knocking on his door and calling his name, 'Sadeek! Sadeek!'"

Alicia Johnson, the boy's aunt, is also demanding answers and calling an end to gun violence in the city.

"Our kids are dying out here. They're dying. They aren't making it past 16 out here," she said.

Distraught family members gathered at the home overnight as crying and sounds of anguish were heard throughout the early morning hours.

Investigators said the gunman ran from the scene but they hope to obtain surveillance video from nearby homes in order to find the killer.

No description of the shooter is available so far, but investigators were able to recover a shell casing from the porch.

The boy's death marked the 437th homicide in Philadelphia this year. Newsweek has contacted the Philadelphia Police Department for comment.

The tragedy comes after news that more than 200 guns have reportedly gone missing from the Philadelphia Sheriff's Department.

A total of 101 service firearms and 109 protection from abuse (PFA) weapons have disappeared from the Sheriff's Office gun inventory since 2016, with authorities scrambling to find the missing arms.

City Controller Rebecca Rhynhart led a year-long investigation into the case after receiving a tip regarding missing rifles and shotguns.

Philadelphia Sheriff Rochelle Bilal said her office will work to locate the missing firearms and the investigation will continue to determine any possible criminal liability.

File photo: A Colt Python, a .357 Magnum caliber revolver, set against the background of an American flag. A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed while answering the door of his Philadelphia home on Sunday. Alfred Gescheidt