24K Puerto Rican Students Failed Classes This Year, Department of Education Says

The COVID-19 pandemic kept schools closed in Puerto Rico, and power outages and unreliable intent made learning at home more difficult, resulting in 24,000 students failing their classes this year, officials said.

After a three-day trip to Puerto Rico, U.S. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said Monday that the island will receive nearly $4 billion in federal education pandemic relief funds, the Associated Press reported.

"The students of Puerto Rico have suffered enough," Cardona said. "It's time to get back to school safely and quickly."

Dozens of private and public schools in Puerto Rico were reopening in March with limited in-person learning. However, a month later, officials closed all schools due to a spike in COVID-19 cases and did not reopen them until May.

With 13,000 student receiving an "F" in all of their courses, Puerto Rico's Department of Education is helping schools run summer school programs with $210 million in previously allotted federal funds.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

Education Puerto Rico
The U.S. Department of Education announced it will provide Puerto Rico with nearly $4 billion in federal education pandemic relief funds as some 24,000 student failed their classes amid school closures due to a rise in COVID-19 cases. Above, teacher, students and workers of the University of Puerto Rico protest against a budget cut of $94 million imposed by the Fiscal Control Board on June 11, 2021, in San Juan. Alejandro Granadillo/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Roughly half of the nearly $4 billion will be released as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which was signed into law in March to help offset the pandemic's impact on the economy and public health.

Cardona said that in addition to meeting with Governor Pedro Pierluisi, he also will meet with students, parents, educators, union leaders and others "to make sure we hear what's happening and how we can best support...Puerto Rico."

It wasn't immediately known exactly how Pierluisi's administration planned to spend the newest federal funds. The announcement comes three months after Cardona announced that Puerto Rico had immediate access to $912 million in federal education money.

Strict conditions had prevented the U.S. territory from receiving certain federal funds in a timely manner under the Trump administration, but these have been easing under U.S. President Joe Biden.

The island of 3.3 million people has reported nearly 123,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and more than 2,000 COVID-19 deaths. More than 40 percent of the population has been vaccinated.

Newsweek, in partnership with NewsGuard, is dedicated to providing accurate and verifiable vaccine and health information. With NewsGuard's HealthGuard browser extension, users can verify if a website is a trustworthy source of health information. Visit the Newsweek VaxFacts website to learn more and to download the HealthGuard browser extension.