U.S.

$500 Billion Lawsuit Filed in College Admissions Scandal

A woman in the San Francisco Bay area has reportedly filed a awsuit for half a trillion dollars against those accused in the alleged college admissions scandal.

Jennifer Kay Toy, who said she was a single mother and teacher near Oakland, California, filed a lawsuit for $500 billion—half a trillion dollars—against 45 of the 50 people named in a federal lawsuit earlier this week. This lawsuit included famed actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin.

Toy called the actions by the defendants “heinous.”

"I'm not a wealthy person, but even if I were wealthy I would not have engaged in the heinous and despicable actions of defendants,” Kay Toy said in her lawsuit. “I'm outraged and hurt because I feel that my son, my only child, was denied access to a college not because he failed to work and study hard enough, but because wealthy individuals felt that it was OK to lie, cheat, steal and bribe their children's way into a good college."

Kay Toy alleged in the lawsuit that her son, Joshua Toy, was overlooked in favor of people who had wealth and influence.

"Because of Joshua's hard work and study he graduated with a 4.2 grade point average. I couldn't be more proud,” Kay Toy said in the lawsuit. “Joshua applied to some of the colleges where the cheating took place and did not get in. Joshua and I believed that he'd had a fair chance just like all other applicants, but did not make the cut for some undisclosed reason.

"I'm now aware of the massive cheating scandal wherein wealthy people conspired with people in positions of power and authority at colleges in order to allow their children to gain access to the very colleges that Joshua was rejected from," Toy claimed in the lawsuit. "Plaintiffs simply wanted a fair chance for themselves or their children to go to a good college, and that opportunity for a fair chance was stolen by the actions of the Defendants… who feel that, because they are wealthy, they are allowed to lie, cheat and steal from others."

There has been a chain reaction since federal prosecutors filed their case against 50 people on Tuesday. There was a lawsuit filed by Olson and Kalea Woods, who claimed Stanford and other schools deemed them "unqualified" to get into "highly selective universities," per an ABC7 report from San Francisco.

"Each of the universities were negligent in failing to maintain adequate protocols and security measures in place to guarantee the sanctity of the college admissions process, and to ensure that their own employees were not engaged in these type of bribery schemes," the lawsuit stated.

Another Stanford student, Erica Olsen, who had been a part of the lawsuit, has since dropped her name from the suit.

Join the Discussion

Editor's Pick