Alaska Man in 'Stable' Condition After Being Mauled by Grizzly Bear, Two Cubs

A man is in "stable" condition after being mauled by a grizzly bear and two cubs in Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.

In a press release from the park, the man was identified as 39-year-old Jason Long from Eagle River, Alaska.

Long was hunting in the park alone when he encountered a female grizzly bear and her two cubs. He was "mauled" by the three bears, suffering "lacerations and puncture wounds" to his body.

According to the press release, the attack occurred "in an unnamed drainage adjacent to the Chisana River" within the confines of the park.

After he was attacked by the three bears, Long activated the SOS button on his "Inreach device" that notified the Air National Guard and the National Park Service, said the park.

A 210th Rescue Squadron HH-60 Pave Hawk II helicopter from the Eielson Air Force Base was conducting a routine mission in the area and was quickly diverted to Long's location by the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center.

"A two-man 212th Rescue Squadron pararescue team was placed on scene to treat and prepare the patient for transport," the press release said.

Long and the pararescue team were eventually hoisted out of the area by the helicopter. The hunter was then taken to the Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson and eventually transported to the Providence Alaska Medical Center to be treated for his injuries.

"The last known condition of the patient was that he was stable," according to the park.

The park also said that there are currently no plans to locate the female grizzly bear "due to the apparent defensive nature of this attack."

"Female bears with cubs are naturally defensive of their young, especially when surprised. There is no indication that this bear is unusually dangerous."

Newsweek reached out to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve for further comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

A similar incident occurred at the same park last year when a 22-year-old Ohio man died after being attacked by a grizzly bear.

"The attack occurred near the Cottonwood Creek drainage, an area of mixed tundra and forest lands with dense vegetation, while the hunting party was salvaging meat from a moose harvested the day before. The National Park Service (NPS) investigation determined this was a surprise attack and that a defensive firearm or other deterrent, like bear spray, was not readily available to the victim," the park said in a press release on September 24, 2020.

Grizzly Bear
An Alaska man was recently mauled by a grizzly bear and two cubs while hunting at the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. Above, a Grizzly bear named "399" walks with her four cubs along the main highway near Signal Mountain on June 15, 2020 outside Jackson, Wyoming. George Frey/Getty