ALCS Game 1 2019: New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros Betting Lines and Odds

The Houston Astros are odds-on favorite to reach a second World Series in three seasons, while the New York Yankees face an uphill task to keep their bid for a 28th title alive.

The two American League powerhouses meet in the Championship Series for the second time in three seasons, after progressing past Tampa Bay and Minnesota in the Division Series.

New York defeated the Twins 3-0, eliminating Minnesota in a postseason series for the sixth time since 2003 and now are one series away from a first appearance in the World Series in a decade.

The Astros, meanwhile, arrived into the playoffs as the favorite to win a second title in three years but needed five games to have the better of the Rays, after blowing a 2-0 lead.

Houston, however, held its nerve and defeated Tampa Bay 6-1 in Game 5 to set up the American League showdown everyone had been waiting for.

According to BetOnline, the Astros are 63/100 favorite to win the American League for the second time in three years, while the Yankees are 7/5 underdogs. FOX Bet, meanwhile, has Houston as 57/100 favorite, with New York at 3/2.

FiveThirtyEight projections, meanwhile, give Houston a 54 percent chance of reaching the World Series, while the Yankees' probability of playing for a first national title since 2009 stand at 46 percent.

Along with the Twins and the Los Angeles Dodgers, the two American League powerhouses are the only teams to have won over 100 games this season, with Houston winning an MLB—best 107, four more than New York.

Houston Astros
The Houston Astros celebrate after their 6-1 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in game five of the American League Division Series at Minute Maid Park on October 10 in Houston, Texas. Bob Levey/Getty

The Astros have reached the 100-win threshold in the last three seasons, while the Yankees have recorded back-to-back season with at least 100 wins for the first time since the 2003 and 2004 campaigns.

In Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Zack Greinke, Houston has arguably the most dominant pitchers in the majors. The Astros went 58-19 in games started by the trio this season, a winning percentage of .753.

To put the figure into context, over the course of a season that pace would have seen Houston finish with a record of 122-40.

To give an idea of complete a team Houston is, consider that the Astros also led the MLB in every offensive category, with the exception of home runs and RBI and recorded the most walks.

If the bullpen is Houston's most prized asset, the same can be said about New York's. In James Paxton and Luis Severino, the Yankees have two of the very best pitchers in the MLB, who seemingly defy physic with almost every pitch.

Severino's fitness will be crucial for the Yankees. The Dominican pitched four innings against the Twins after pitching just 12 across three regular season games this year, as he was hampered by injuries.

Aside from the bullpen, the Yankees' batting line-up will also have a major say in the series. New York crushed 306 home runs this season, just one fewer than the league—high 307 set by the Twins.

The prospect of Aaron Judge going up against the Astros' formidable bullpen should make for an intriguing matchup.

ALCS Game 1 2019: New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros Betting Lines and Odds | Sports