American Airlines Flight Rerouted After Chemical Spill Knocks Cabin Crew Unconscious

An American Airlines flight was forced to reroute on Monday after a chemical spillage onboard left two members of the cabin crew unconscious.

The flight from London to Philadelphia was forced to divert to Dublin after a cleaning fluid spillage in one of the lavatories temporarily knocked out the two members of the cabin crew and left several passengers with itchy skin and burning eyes, according to Airport Webcams.

The product had been left behind after cleaning prior to flight AA729 departing London Heathrow, leaking into the main cabin and causing a host of problems for passengers and crew, including skin and eye irritation.

"It was a cleaning product that was used at London Heathrow... It was spilled and for some reason the container itself was left behind in the aircraft in one of the lavatories and it continued to seep into the craft and produce, what I'm told is not, it is not a toxic substance," audio obtained from aircraft control and shared by Airport Webcams said.

"The cabin staff have actually lost consciousness, they are back in a state of consciousness now," audio from the flight deck continued, also explaining to ground control that cabin crew had managed to take a picture of the substance bottle.

ATC AUDIO: American #AA729 incident on board involving cleaning fluid spillage causing unconsciousness and irritations on board (LHR-PHL, diverted to DUB): |

Via @liveatc archives

— Airport Webcams (@AirportWebcams) October 21, 2019

An American Airlines spokesperson told Newsweek: "American Airlines flight 729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia diverted to Dublin due to an odor caused by a spilled cleaning solution in the galley.

"The flight landed safely in Dublin at 1:15 p.m. local time, and taxied to the gate.

"Medical personnel have met the aircraft to evaluate any crew members or passengers who may need additional assistance. Two crew members and one customer were taken to the hospital for evaluation."

The flight had been scheduled to depart London Heathrow at 10.15 a.m. local time and land in Philadelphia at 1.40 p.m. local time, although it was delayed leaving London by almost one hour.

A Twitter thread about the flight shared by Airport Webcams noted that medical assistance had been requested to meet the plan upon landing in Dublin, although there has been no word as yet as to the condition of the crew members or passengers who were taken to hospital for medical treatment following the incident.