Atlanta Police Investigating Alleged Sexual Assault Streamed on Facebook Live

Opera Atlanta
A woman reportedly live-streamed her sexual assault at Opera nightclub in Atlanta, Georgia, on January 19. Police are investigating the incident. Google Maps

Police are investigating a sexual assault that allegedly took place at an Atlanta nightclub and was streamed on Facebook Live.

Atlanta Police Department received reports from people who saw the live-stream of the alleged assault on Facebook on Sunday morning, Officer Jarius Daugherty told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Authorities announced on Monday that they had identified and reached out to the man who was seen in the live stream.

The video live-streamed on Facebook "appears to show a woman being sexually assaulted" inside Opera nightclub on Crescent Avenue, Daugherty told the newspaper. The woman, who was no longer in Georgia, was cooperating with investigators, police said, according to WGCL-TV.

The victim was at the nightclub on Saturday night celebrating her birthday when the sexual assault reportedly occurred. She told investigators that someone spiked her drink with drugs and then sexually assaulted her on the dance floor, WSB-TV reported.

The woman was already live-streaming her birthday celebration when she was allegedly sexually assaulted. In a police report, a caller told police she saw the video of a woman being groped and potentially "being raped." The caller claimed the woman could be heard screaming, "No, stop!"

Police arrived at the nightclub but realized they had arrived an hour after the video was streamed. The video reportedly showed the woman on the dance floor while she was assaulted by an unidentified man. Police said she could be heard yelling at the man to stop and asking for help.

The video was removed from Facebook and the woman posted a second video saying she was okay, according to WSB-TV. She also thanked people who had helped her and said she wanted justice.

Opera nightclub management said it was cooperating with investigators.

"At this time we have met with the Atlanta Police Department and have provided them with everything they have requested," the nightclub said in a statement on Facebook. "We will continue to aid and support their investigation in any way we can."