Woman Finds 5-Foot-Long Deadly Snake Lurking in Her Yard

An Australian reptile catcher responded to a home this week after one of the world's deadliest snakes was found entangled in wire netting.

Stuart McKenzie, the owner of relocation service Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7, said on his Facebook page on Tuesday that a woman who first spotted the 5-foot-long eastern brown initially thought it was a relatively harmless tree snake.

"Very lucky that she called us," McKenzie said in a video uploaded to the account showing the wrangler using a pair of scissors to slowly free the snake from some netting in the backyard of the woman's property in Buderim, an area of Queensland.

The eastern brown is considered the second most toxic land snake in the world and a bite can result in death if not treated quickly and correctly. Experts say that the species causes more deaths from a bite than any other in Australia.

"The venom contains powerful presynaptic neurotoxins, procoagulants, cardiotoxins and nephrotoxins, and successful envenomation can result in progressive paralysis and uncontrollable bleeding," reads a profile from the Australian Museum.

The average length of the eastern brown is around five feet.

In the video, McKenzie is seen securing the snake's head while cutting off some of the netting from its tail area, before putting it into a thick relocation bag.

Eastern Brown Snake Caught in backyard Netting!It is never an easy or quick job being called to the 2nd most venomous snake in the world, caught in a...

A caption said responding to eastern brown call-out is "never an easy or quick job," but confirmed the snake did not receive any injuries during his entanglement.

McKenzie wrote: "This... healthy eastern brown snake did a great job of it, tangling from his head, half way down his body and right when the sun was going down.

"With time against us and the dangerous task at hand, I put him in a head grab and tried to keep him still so [the team] could cut the netting from his body and then work our way to the head to get him free, safely! Another reminder to dispose of netting in your yards as snakes and other animals get trapped and injured."

The wrangler echoed that sentiment in the video itself, which was filmed from the scene of the rescue attempt, warning wildlife that attempts to squeeze through the netting can often become stuck. He said people should "preferably get rid" of such wiring.

He said in the video: "Snakes can fit their head through and then they slowly work the rest of their body through over time. And then it ends up being a complete mess."

In his case, the brown was successfully removed to bushland and set free. "Actually pretty chilled. Probably just happy to be out of that netting," McKenzie said.

On Monday, the reptile-catching business released footage to Facebook of a 5-foot-long carpet python that had killed a family's pet cat and was preparing to eat it before being captured and relocated. McKenzie urged people to closely watch over their pets.

Eastern Brown snake
A deadly Australia eastern brown snake is photographed in the Sydney suburb of Terrey Hills on September 25, 2012., in the Sydney on October 3, 2012. WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty