Toddler Left Brain-Dead After Babysitter Allegedly Beats Her

Lindsay Partin, 35, was charged with felony assault and child endangerment and has been released on $30,000 cash bond. Butler County Sheriff's Office

A 3-year-old Ohio girl is unlikely to survive after her babysitter allegedly beat her and left her brain-dead.

Babysitter Lindsay Partin, 35, was charged with felony assault and child endangerment after admitting to hitting 3-year-old Hannah Wesche last week. In a statement released Monday, police said Partin admitted to assaulting the girl “and stated she had fallen and struck her head on the concrete garage floor the previous day.”

In a 911 call, Partin told a dispatcher that Hannah “just passed out” after being dropped off at her home. “She fell really bad yesterday when we were playing here in the garage, and she has a bruise on her face and on her chin, and I thought she was fine,” Partin said.

Butler County Police said detectives arrived at Partin’s home on March 8 and found the toddler unresponsive with labored breathing. Hannah had “obvious bruises about her head and face,” police said.

The girl was transported to Fort Hamilton Hospital before being transferred to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said. Detectives and hospital personnel also noticed additional bruising on the girl’s body.

Court documents reveal that Partin admitted to shaking the girl.

“This little girl is hanging on by a thread. Cases like this rip your heart out. I don’t understand why or how anyone harms a child,” Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones said in a statement. “We do not know if the child will survive her injuries at this time.”

Jason Wesche, Hannah’s father, told Butler County Area II Court that the girl is brain-dead and unlikely to survive.

“I mean, it’s unimaginable. I can’t begin to explain the feeling of losing a child at the hands of this…of just a violent act. Hannah was great,” Wesche said at Partin’s arraignment Monday. “We just want to stress that this situation is devastating. She is not expected to survive. Within the next couple of days, we are told that it’s going to come to an end.”

Jason told WLWT that the family had taken Hannah to Partin’s home in Hanover Township for months and said Partin had all the credentials he was looking for in a babysitter. The Wesche family said the girl had been punched and that she had a black eye.

The family added that doctors removed part of Hannah’s skull due to the swelling of her brain.

Jones urged parents to thoroughly vet the people who are watching their children. “Get background checks, talk to neighbors, friends and family members before letting anyone watch your children. Know who you are leaving your babies with."

Partin pleaded not guilty to the felony charges and was released from jail on $30,000 cash bond Monday afternoon, ABC affiliate WWSB reported. The case remains under investigation, the sheriff said.

According to the Hamilton Journal-News, Partin’s next court appearance is Thursday.