Girl, 12, Drowns in Tragic Hotel Swimming Pool Accident During Family Holiday

A 12-year-old girl from Russia on holiday with her family in Turkey died after her arm got sucked into a hotel swimming pool pump.

Alisa Adamova from St. Petersburg got her arm sucked into the device, forcing her below the surface of the water in the tragic incident on August 18.

Her father and other tourists desperately tried to rescue her, but she was trapped underwater for 15 minutes before she could be yanked free. Even when she was finally freed of the vacuum device, a piece of the pump was still attached to her arm.

Seeing she was unresponsive when she reached the surface, holidaymakers performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and she was revived by paramedics, but died in hospital 11 days later.

Alisa's mother, Natalya Adamova, told Fontanka news agency: "Her dad dived and saw our child stuck underwater. He tried to pull her out but her hand was very strongly sucked into the pump pipe.

A sunrise is viewed over the Turbuku bay on the Bodrum Peninsula, Turkey in this illustrative image. A young Russian girl on holiday in the popular resort area died after her arm was sucked into a hotel swimming pool. Yoray Liberman/Getty Images

"He called for help. Other guests rushed to assist. But even after hotel workers turned off the pump, they could not free her hand.

"Then he and seven other guests broke the pipe and pulled Alisa out along with a piece of pipe on her arm."

The girl's father, Andris Leikutsis, wrote on the social network: "We know that life goes on, but our life will never be the same as before."

There is criticism of the staff at the four-star Sunhill Hotel where the accident happened and claim that no lifeguard was on duty.

Polish tourist Tomasz Grushalski said: "We frantically called the hotel staff to switch off the pump, but none of the staff came to help.

"It took ten minutes to switch the pump off and after that it was still impossible to get her out at first," he added.

Rusya'dan tatil için ailesiyle Bodrum'a gelen ve 18 Ağustos'ta kaldıkları otelin havuzunda kolunu su tahliye pompasına kaptırıp, boğulma tehlikesi geçiren Alisa Adamova (12), Denizli'deki hastanede dün yaşamını yitirdi.

— dokuz8HABER (@dokuz8haber) August 29, 2019

He said that "incompetent" staff "tried to blame the mother".

"This trip will forever remain in our memory due to a tragic event caused by the incompetence of the hotel management. My eight-year-old daughter, who witnessed the event, still cannot cope with it," The Mirror reported.

Police are investigating the incident. Three senior staff at the hotel have been told not to leave the country.

In a statement, the Russian embassy in Ankara urged the Turkish authorities to act, saying: "We hope that Turkish justice will establish the circle of persons guilty of this tragedy, and that they will bear punishment they deserve."

TripAdvisor has suspended new reviews of the Sunhill Hotel after a surge in posts about the incident.