Boy Bitten by Tiger Snake Hospitalized for 3 Days, Given Antivenom

An 11-year-old boy was hospitalized for three days and given antivenom after he was bitten by a highly venomous tiger snake in Australia.

Ryder Saul, who lives in New South Wales town Oberon, was out on a four-wheeler with his brother when he felt a sting on the back of his leg, local newspaper The Oberon Review reported.

Tiger snakes in Australia are highly venomous and responsible for the second-highest number of snake bites in the country.

They are prone to slithering into human-populated areas while on the lookout for small rodents to feast on. Bites from the snake are fatal if left untreated.

After feeling the bite, the 11-year-old then spotted the tiger snake lurking behind him, with a flattened head, a move often displayed by snakes when they feel threatened.

Saul began vomiting as the venom took hold of his body.

Tiger Snake
A stock photo shows a tiger snake. They are responsible for a high number of bites in Australia. Ken Griffiths/Getty Images

"When I examined it I could see the puncture wound and there was still venom on the top of his leg," Saul's mother told The Oberon Review.

Saul came down with headaches and stomach cramps on arrival to the hospital in West Bathurst, the news outlet reported, symptoms are typical of a snake bite. As the venom takes hold of a victims body, breathing difficulties and paralysis can also occur.

Saul's mother told the news outlet "he was very clam" throughout the ordeal.

Even though tiger snakes are responsible for a high number of bites in Australia, the hospital had only treated one victim in the last two years. According to Saul's mother, when the snakes bite, it is usually empty of venom.

Doctors immediately began to administer antivenom to Saul. They took the bandage off and revealed a severe bruise where the snake had bitten him, his mother said.

Saul stayed in the hospital for three days before returning home. He is still on antibiotics, according to The Oberon Review.

The bite wound, which has turned black in color, is being monitored closely to spot any muscle damage. A tiger snake's venom not only has the potential to kill a person but it can severally damage the muscles and blood. If untreated, it can lead to renal failure.

"It was strange, all the bruises he had from just day-to-day of being a boy all seem to get darker," his mother told The Oberon Review.

Snakes are more common and active in Australia during the warmer months. It is also the beginning of mating season for snakes in the country, meaning they are more alert while searching for a mate.

"I have to congratulate my two boys, they were very calm, and it was only me who went into panic mode," Saul's mother told The Oberon Review. "I've always been cautious and worried about the dog being bitten. I never thought it would be one of the kids."