Teenage Boy Went Into Cardiac Arrest, Died After Inhaling a Deodorant That Smelt Like His Mother

A 13-year-old boy died after breathing in deodorant because the smell reminded him of his mother, an inquest has heard.

Jack Waple's mother Susan Waple found her son unconscious in his bedroom in the U.K. county of Norfolk, East Anglia, on June 13, BBC News reported.

She found a can of deodorant on the bed of her son, who had a history of smelling the scented aerosols.

Paramedics were called to the boy's home in Hockwold, Norfolk, but were unable to save his life, the Press Association reported.

The hearing at Carrow House coroner's office in Norwich heard the teenager had died by misadventure, after breathing in the aerosol and having a cardiac arrest.

Before her son died, Susan Waple had noticed cans of deodorant were lighter than before, or missing, around the house.

Jack's mother and father had warned him against abusing aerosols. But the teenager said he would merely spray the scent about when he was feeling anxious if his mother was out of the house.

Coroner Yvonne Blake told the hearing: "[Jack had] assured you nothing was going wrong and said he sprayed his deodorant about as it smelt like you.

"He asked you to believe him. You felt you had to show faith in him,"

The boy carried out a deliberate action with an unintended consequence, Blake concluded.

Susan Waple told the coroner her son was "very adventurous."

"He was very adventurous and would do things like he had learnt off the internet like making a cake in a cup, and making his own ice cubes which are still in the freezer in plastic bags with kiwi fruit in."

His father Robert Waple said his son "loved experimenting with things."

The teenager was found with blood on him, which the coroner said was likely due to the fact the boy often had nosebleeds. He had no signs of haemorrhaging or external damage.

Following a post-mortem examination, a pathologist said there was no volatile gas found in Jack's lungs because of how it dissipates after death.

Gases from aerosols can "jolt" the heart and cause damage, Blake explained.

She told the hearing: "They say people get a high from it. I don't know. It used to be glue sniffing in my day."

"He would have gone into cardiac arrest and he wouldn't have known anything," she said. "I'm very sorry for your loss. You don't expect to bury your children."

Aerosols contain volatile substances, which if inhaled can kill.

deodorant, aerosol, spray, stock, getty
A stock image shows a can of deodorant being sprayed. Jack Waple inhaled a similar substance before he died. Getty
Teenage Boy Went Into Cardiac Arrest, Died After Inhaling a Deodorant That Smelt Like His Mother | News