What is Joseph Wayne Miller’s Cause of Death? ‘Heavyweights’ Star 'Salami Sam' Found Dead

Heavyweights star Joseph Wayne Miller died at his home in Chicago on January 9, TMZ reported Wednesday. He was 36 years old.

Miller's cause of death wasn’t immediately known, but his mother, Patricia Clark, told the news outlet the former child star died in his sleep. He suffered from sleep apnea, his mother added. His girlfriend discovered his body.

“He was always a good time. In the worst of times, he was the best time,” Clark told the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday.

Miller was best known for his role as “Salami Sam” in the '90s classic, which features Ben Stiller and was written by Judd Apatow. The film, released in 1995, follows a group of overweight kids who go to Camp Hope to lose weight and have a good time. Instead, Tony Perkins (Stiller), a psychotic ex-fitness instructor willing to do anything to get the campers to drop the pounds—including the cancelation of lunch due to a lack of hustle.

Heavyweights "Heavyweights" star Joseph Wayne Miller was died at his home in Chicago. His cause of death was not immediately known. Disney

Further information about Miller was not immediately known, but Apatow issued a statement Wednesday to the New York Post’s Page Six.

“When we made Heavyweights, being around Joe Miller was pure joy,” Apatow said. “We could not have loved spending time with him more. He made everyone around him so happy. What a terrible loss.”

Aaron Schwartz, who played Gerald Garner in the film, also gave a comment to Page Six. “Joe always brought the fun to the set," Schwartz said. "He was one of those people you always wanted to be around. So sad. So young. Rest in Peace Joe.”

Schwartz also remembered Miller on Instagram, where he shared Salami Sam’s moments from Heavyweights.

During a 1995 interview with the Chicago Tribune, Miller said making the film was “definitely the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

Miller's stint in acting was brief—Heavyweights is his only credit, according to IMDb. He graduated from Maine South High School in 2000 and eventually worked as a radiology technician, a DJ and a property manager at his mother’s office, Clark told the Tribune.

Miller’s wake was scheduled for Friday, with funeral services set for the following day.

This is a developing story. Please check back for more information.