Mexican Man Dies In CBP Custody a Day After Being Apprehended

A Mexican man died in the custody of the U.S. Border Patrol agency a day after being detained by Tuscon Sector Border Patrol agents.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency said it was "saddened" to report that the 49-year-old man, whose identity has yet to be released, had been pronounced dead on Monday morning at a Southern Arizona hospital.

"Our condolences are with his family," the agency said.

According to CBP, Tucson Border Patrol sector agents stopped apprehended the man on Sunday, at around 1 p.m.

It is unclear what condition the man was in when agents apprehended him.

While processing his arrest, however, they determined that the 49-year-old needed medical attention and transported him to a Tucson area hospital.

Medical officials at the hospital determined that the man had a pre-existing heart condition, the agency said.

The next day, on Monday morning, the man was pronounced dead at approximately 9a.m.

Newsweek has contacted CBP for more information on the incident and to request the identity of the man who died.

A sign is posted at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Border Patrol station in Clint, Texas. A Mexican man has died in the custody of the CBP. Mario Tama/Getty

The incident is the first death in CBP custody since August 1, when a 32-year-old Salvadoran man traveling with daughter died after being apprehended by U.S. Border Patrol agents.

In that case, the 32-year-old and his daughter had also been stopped the evening before, but by agents with the El Paso Sector.

Both the father and his daughter were transported to the El Paso Border Patrol Station, where CBP said they were medically screened and cleared upon arrival.

The next morning, after being transferred to the the Lordsburg Border Patrol Station for expedited processing, CBP said the man collapsed outside a shower area.

CBP said the man was transferred via ambulance to be airlifted for additional care, but "despite efforts to save his life, air transport personnel pronounced the man deceased."

While Monday's death was the first to happen this month in CBP custody, it was the second such incident to occur in federal immigration custody.

Earlier this month, Nebane Abienwi, a 37-year-old Cameroonian man, died in the custody of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

Abienwi had been in federal custody for nearly a month after applying for admission into the U.S. without proper documentation, according to ICE.

He died on October 1 after experiencing a "hypertensive event" in the middle of the night, the agency asserted.