Chicago Police Officer Fatally Shoots Son During Domestic Dispute

A Chicago police officer who was off-duty shot and killed his son during a domestic dispute on Wednesday.

Rafael Flores, 23, was fatally shot at about 1:50 a.m. local time in a home in Garfield Ridge neighborhood.

The shooting took place after a physical altercation and Flores was pronounced dead at the scene, according to NBC News. The Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating the shooting.

The home is reportedly owned by an officer who has been a member of the Chicago Police Department for nearly 20 years.

An autopsy found Flores died of multiple gunshot wounds, Cook County medical examiner's office stated. The victim's death has been ruled a "domestic-related" homicide.

Speaking to NBC, a source said Flores was working as an assistant football coach at St. Rita of Cascia High School, which he had graduated from in 2015.

John Catanzara, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, the organization consisting of sworn law enforcement officers in the U.S, visited the home on Wednesday morning but did not comment on the incident.

Chicago police
An autopsy found 23-year-old Rafael Flores died of multiple gunshot wounds Scott Olson/Getty Images

St. Rita Athletics posted a tribute to Flores on Twitter: "It's with great sadness that we announce the passing of Rafael Simon Flores. Simon was a member of the Class of 2015 and recently returned as an assistant football coach.

"Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. St. Rita, pray for us."

Neighbor Jeff Jestadt told CBS2 said he had known Flores and his family for around 13 years.

"I consider them to be great neighbors. They're the kind of people that you know have your back," he said. "They were very, very, very nice people. We have the same kind of a dog and that's kind of our connection between the two of us, two families. Just very nice people overall."

Speaking of Flores, Jestadt added: "He was just a quiet kid. We'd see him, just over this past summer. He'd go out for walks, by himself. Sometimes he'd take his dog with him. We'd see him out in the alley, sometimes playing basketball or whatever, kind of hanging out. We'd wave. He'd wave back."

CBS reported the off-duty officer was taken to a hospital to be treated for a head injury following the incident.