Woman's Body Found Bound and Stuffed in Suitcase in Wooded Area Off Side of Connecticut Road: 'It's Sickening'

A homicide probe was launched in Connecticut yesterday after a woman's body was found inside a suitcase. Her hands and feet were bound together.

Law enforcement officials said a highway crew discovered the suitcase at around 8:15 a.m. in a wooded area off Glenville Road in Greenwich. Police captain Robert Berry confirmed yesterday while addressing media than an active homicide investigation was ongoing.

The female victim, whose identity remains unknown, was estimated to be between the ages of 18 and 30. She was clothed upon discovery. Police said yesterday the cause of death yet to be determined. They noted that some "possible identification leads" had been determined.

Berry said he could not provide the exact dimension of the suitcase at the scene, but said it was closer to a "full size" luggage bag. He said cops were working hard to identify the victim.

"The victim was found bound at the hands and at the feet," Berry told reporters. "And the victim was found in a suitcase. The victim has since been removed from the scene.

"We have received numerous public tips, which is very appreciated. We are following up on each and every one of them. We do want to continue to public to call in those tips."

"Our focus right now is obtaining that identification of the victim so that a proper notification can be done to the next-of-kin. It is always sensitive to us that every time we have a tragedy such as this there is a family connected to it and we always try to keep that forethought in our minds. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to our family, whoever they may be."

The Greenwich Time newspaper published the Tuesday press conference online.

It was not immediately clear when the homicide had occurred. The police captain said that environmental conditions may make it harder to analyze the crime scene. As reported by Greenwich Time, he acknowledged the victim's death likely happened elsewhere. The state's attorney's office and chief medical examiner will be aiding with the probe, he added.

One Port Chester resident interviewed by the newspaper was moved to tears by the story. "It's tragic. I have two granddaughters. I worry about this all the time," she said. "It's a national [problem] and it always has been. It's sickening."

A local gas station owner, identified as Anthony Zaccagnino, told NBC New York: "It's unnerving and a little scary, but hopefully they [the detectives] are good at their job and will get things done."

Greenwich Police can be contacted at 203-622-3333.