Connecticut Woman Mistakes Stick of Dynamite for Candle During Power Outage, Sues For Losing Part of Her Hand

GettyImages-158391996 (1)
Illustrative: Police tape is erected at a police cordon in Connecticut. Spencer Platt/Getty Images

A woman in Connecticut is suing the former owner of her family home after she accidentally set off a stick of dynamite in her hand, thinking it to be a candle.

Karina Gutierrez and her husband, Abidias Martinez, are suing the former owner of their home after Gutierrez sustained serious injuries, blowing off several fingers, because of the dynamite she lit while searching for a candle in September 2018.

The Connecticut Post reported that Gutierrez found the stick of dynamite in her home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, as thunderstorms wrought havoc across the city, cutting off power to hundreds of residents.

According to the lawsuit filed against the former homeowner, Oscar Aguirre, Gutierrez lit the wick on the top of the candle-shaped stick of dynamite after she found it in the basement.

As a result of the explosion Gutierrez suffered injuries to her face, eyes and hands, receiving treatment at two separate hospitals for the wounds. The lawsuit states after treatment she lost part of her left hand, injured her right eye and was left with permanent scarring to her face chest and arms.

Because of her injuries Gutierrez will have ongoing medical treatment resulting in "significant" medical expenses, the suit also claims.

"This is a terrible tragedy to happen to this family," Gutierrez's lawyer, Paul Ganim, told the Connecticut local press. "We are thankful, although the mother was tragically injured, that the young children were not physically injured. I am committed to pursuing all legal actions to adequately compensate this family for their horrible loss," he added.

The lawsuit places blame with Aguirre for failing to remove the explosives from the house. "Mrs. Gutierrez's injuries and losses were directly caused by the willful, wanton and reckless conduct of the defendant in that he knew of the existence of the explosive device but failed to remove it from the basement when he sold the property in deliberate disregard for the safety of the plaintiffs," the suit states.

Following the dynamite blast in the family home, local police and a state police bomb disposal unit evacuated Gutierrez, her husband and children, cordoning off the home as they investigated the explosion.

According to CBS Boston, authorities removed another dynamite device from the home in the immediate aftermath of the incident. It is illegal to store fireworks or dynamite in Connecticut. However, police did not press charges.

Connecticut Woman Mistakes Stick of Dynamite for Candle During Power Outage, Sues For Losing Part of Her Hand | U.S.