Conner Betts Randomly Shot Victims in Dayton, Did Not Intend to Kill Sister: Police

Conner Betts randomly shot victims in Dayton, Ohio, in 2019 and did not intend to kill his sister, police said in a recent report.

There is no evidence that Betts, 24, targeted the nine people he shot and killed outside a crowded strip of nightclubs in Dayton, according to the investigative report released by Dayton police on Friday. His 22-year-old sister, Megan, was among the victims.

The FBI, though, said this week that it has made no final conclusion on if Betts meant to shoot his sister. It announced the end of its investigation late last year.

"All of the victims appear to have been random," wrote Detective David House in the report issued by the Dayton police.

"No one knows for sure except the shooter, who is deceased," said FBI spokesperson Todd Lindgren during an interview on Monday, according to the Associated Press.

After opening fire in Dayton's Oregon District entertainment area for half a minute, Betts was killed by police. He was armed with an AR-15 rifle that had an extended ammunition magazine, and he killed nine people and injured dozens more.

In a summary of its investigation released in November, the FBI said it found evidence Betts had "looked into violent ideologies."

The FBI said that for at least a decade before the shooting, Betts had fantasized about mass shootings, serial killings and murder-suicide.

Connor Betts, Report, Random Victims, 2019 Shooting
There is no evidence that Connor Betts, 24, targeted the nine people he shot and killed outside a crowded strip of nightclubs in Dayton, Ohio, in 2019, according to a recently released police report. In this photo, mourners visit a memorial to those killed in the city's Oregon District on August 6, 2019, in Dayton, Ohio. Scott Olson/Getty Images

Betts arrived at a local entertainment district that night with his sister and his best friend, Chace Beard. They spent about an hour inside a bar before Betts left and went to another nightclub by himself, police said.

Text messages released by police show that Betts asked the pair to come over to the other bar, but Beard responded that they were going to get tacos and stay only one more hour.

None of the messages gave any clue that Betts was about to carry out the attack.

Minutes later, Betts walked to his car, put on body armor and retrieved a gun from the trunk, according to video reviewed by police. He then came down an alley and started shooting.

His sister was hit while standing in line at a taco cart with Beard, who was shot and injured.

"We were at the front of the line, I was literally watching them make my food when I heard gunshots," said Beard, who talked with police at the hospital.

He said he saw the masked shooter for a few seconds but did not recognize him.

Beard said that he didn't know of any problems between the siblings and that Betts "was really protective of her," the police report said.

Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl, who has since retired, said a week after the attack that there was a real question whether Betts could see who was on the other side when he began shooting.

One witness told police that Betts was shooting from the hip and not looking down the gun's sights. Another said he saw Betts at one point duck behind a trash can and then saw him appear to be aiming at people.

The man, who served in the Marine Corps, said he didn't think Betts was trained how to properly shoot a rifle, judging by how he was holding it.

A psychology instructor who had Betts in two of her classes at Sinclair Community College in Dayton told police that he was more disagreeable during her class in spring 2019, according to the police records released Friday.

Debbie Carter-Ford told investigators that Betts talked and wrote about how he did not allow laws to influence him and said he thought the government was spying on him. On the last day of classes in May, she said, he stormed out of class and said, "I don't feel well."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.