Trump Golf Resort in New Jersey Partially Closes Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

A golf resort in New Jersey owned by The Trump Organization is reportedly temporarily closing down key sections of the business due to the nationwide novel coronavirus outbreak.

The manager of the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster told members by email on Tuesday that the clubhouse, fitness suite, and restaurants would all close until further notice due to new "social distancing" measures that were released earlier this week by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D).

The email was first reported by The Washington Post. It said one golf course at the resort would remain accessible, but players would not be allowed caddies or motor carts.

Bedminster is believed to be the first Trump-owned resort to fall victim to a widespread closure due to COVID-19, which has now infected more than 6,400 people in the U.S.

"[The] accounting and administrative offices will remain open, but we are staggering schedules and practicing social distancing," manager David Schutzenhofer said in the email to workers, The Post reported. "If staff members are able to work from home, we have encouraged them to do so."

It remains unclear when the Bedminster club will reopen, or if other Trump Organization resorts will be temporarily shuttered to help contain the potential spread of the novel coronavirus.

The Washington Post reported the president's Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida recently closed for cleaning and other locations — including a club based in Northern Virginia — had closed some spa facilities. At the time of writing, no notice had been posted to the Bedminster resort's website about the closures.

The Trump Organization has been contacted for comment by Newsweek.

Gov. Murphy on Monday announced new measures intended to limit the spread of COVID019. An executive order closed schools, casinos, gyms and movie theaterswhile making all non-essential retail and entertainment businesses cease their daily operations between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.

All restaurants — with or without a liquor license — are now limited to offering only "delivery and/or take out-services" only, both during daytime hours and after 8 p.m, the governor's office said. Any public gatherings in the state of New Jersey can no longer exceed 50 people, the executive order added.

"We must take aggressive and direct social distancing action to curtail non-essential activities in the state," Gov. Murphy said in a public statement on Monday.

"Our paramount priority is to 'flatten the curve' of new cases, so we do not overwhelm our healthcare system and overload our health care professionals who are on the frontlines of the response. [We] continue to work closely with our communities... and business leaders to ensure that we all do our part to win the fight against the novel coronavirus and emerge stronger than ever."

The president, who has said he recently tested negative for the disease, was criticized this week after calling COVID-19 "the Chinese virus." He later doubled down, saying that it had been a "very accurate term." On Twitter yesterday, Trump wrote: "The world is at war with a hidden enemy. WE WILL WIN!"

President Donald Trump
President Donald Trump pauses while speaking to the press after a meeting with banking executives in the Cabinet Room of the White House March 11, 2020, in Washington, DC. BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty