'Beautiful' Two-Year-Old Girl Chokes to Death on Sausage at Nursery

A two-year-old girl choked to death on a sausage she was eating for lunch in a nursery.

Sadie Salt tragically passed away at St Mary's hospital in London on Saturday, two days after emergency services were called to the Mini Learners nursery in Radlett, Hertfordshire. Friends of the family have now launched a petition to ban what they have described as awkward food from nurseries.

The petition states: "This is a petition we never thought we'd be writing. Tragically on the 14th November 2020, Darren's best friend's daughter lost her life after choking on a piece of sausage whilst having her lunch at nursery. She was just 2 years old.

"Our friends have lost their baby. Our baby has lost his friend. Two young boys have lost their little sister. We are fully aware that accidents happen but things can also be put in place to prevent these accidents occurring!

"Sausages are renowned for their awkward shape and tough skin, thus making it extra challenging for small children to chew. Grapes fall into the same category. We are appealing to get sausages and grapes banned from all nursery settings ASAP so no other family has to go through the devastation and heartbreak that so many people have felt this weekend."


Sadie Salt
Sadie Salt started choking on the sausage while having lunch JustGiving

The petition has so far been signed by over 4,000 people. Describing her as a "beautiful girl", the family has also set up a fundraising page to support COSMIC, a charity supporting critically ill children and their parents.

The page states: "We are devastated to have lost our beautiful Sadie on Saturday 14th November. Sadie spent two days in St Mary's Hospital pediatric ICU where the care she, mummy and daddy received was incredible.

"The team at the ICU are beyond amazing and the care for Sadie and the support for us was outstanding! They do an amazing job and fully deserve all the support they can get. They took tremendous care of our Sadie and us and nothing was too much to make us all feel loved, cared for and supported.

"We are in terrible pain as we suffer the untimely loss of our daughter and sister, but the huge support of love from you all has been overwhelming. We are so proud to tell you that she was able to help others by donating vital organs to go on and save lives.

"Please show your love and support for Sadie and us by giving to this wonderful charity. It means so much to us all and from the bottom of our hearts we thank you all for thinking of us xxx."

The fundraiser has so far raised over £38,000 ($50,000).

A Mini Learners nursery spokesperson told the Borehamwood Times: "We are absolutely devastated by this news and our sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to the family."