Decomposing Body Found Inside Manhole in Midtown Manhattan

The decomposing body of a man was found inside a manhole near Central Park in Midtown Manhattan, New York, in the early hours of Tuesday, police said.

Police officers arrived at the manhole located at the intersection of West 58th Street and Eight Avenue, right by Columbus Circle, at around 3:20 a.m., a spokesman for the New York Police Department told Newsweek.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a man unconscious and unresponsive and "in a state of decomposition," police said. Emergency medical services also responded and pronounced the man dead at the scene.

Police didn't say how the man died or how he ended up in the manhole. He has not been identified. The cause of death will be determined by the Medical Examiner, the NYPD spokesmen said. The investigation remains ongoing.

"Police responded to a 911 call of an aided, unconscious individual inside and beneath a manhole area located at West 58 Street and 8th Avenue, within the confines of the Midtown North Precinct," the NYPD spokesman said.

"Upon arrival, officers observed an unidentified adult male, unconscious and unresponsive, whose body was discovered in a state of decomposition."

Police closed down the street on Tuesday morning as authorities worked on retrieving the man's body from the manhole, NBC New York reported.

The grim discovery was made by Verizon workers who were installing phone lines at the scene, according to NBC New York. They called police after finding the man after opening the manhole at around 3 a.m. Newsweek has contacted Verizon for comment.

According to PIX11, police believe the dead man was homeless. No other information about him is known.

A White House report published last month on the state of homelessness said more than half a million people "go homeless on a single night in the United States."

It said approximately 65 percent of those people stay in homeless shelters but the other 35 percent, amounting to around 200,000 people, are sleeping unsheltered in places not intended for human habitation, such as in parks, on sidewalks and in abandoned buildings.

New York City had 101 people per 10,000 experiencing homelessness in 2018, one of the highest rates in the entire country, according to the report.

The report, by President Trump's Council of Economic Advisors, blamed "decades of misguided and faulty policies", such as the overregulation of housing markets, for causing home prices to become unaffordable.

nyc manhole
Stock photo: Verizon workers found the decomposing body of a man in a manhole in Manhattan, New York. Getty