Dog Accidentally Gets High After Eating Mushrooms in Viral Video

The internet may have brought you cats flushing toilets and monkeys swiping through phones, but now we have a dog unintentionally high on mushrooms.

Dog mom Shannon shared the video of her pet Labrador, Miley, on a ride home from the vet in New Hampshire, appearing slightly spaced out. In the clip, Miley is sitting with her head hanging out of the window, wind blowing through her fur while she stares outside.

"My dog just ate a wild mushroom and we just spent $140 for the vet to tell us she's high," wrote Shannon alongside the video, adding in a comment that "she's never been more relaxed."

Posted just two days ago, the video has gained over 9.8 million views, with viewers, for the most part, entertained by the whole saga.

"The girl knows how to party," joked one TikTok viewer.

"She's on a spiritual journey," added another.

Others, however, took a more concerned approach to the video. "Thank god it wasn't poisonous," wrote one viewer.

"We were at my family's cottage in New Hampshire and they grow there when we get a lot of rain like we have been this year," Shannon told Newsweek. "In the morning she peed the bed which she hasn't done in eight years. We also noticed her back legs weren't working properly and she was walking weird, she was extremely lethargic, she refused food and treats and wouldn't get up to do anything, even a boat ride, which is her favorite."

@shnnsllvn

She's fine it's funny now that we know she's fine #dog #dogownerproblems becauseigothigh

♬ Because I Got High - Afroman

"She [the veterinarian] said that her symptoms were consistent with eating wild mushrooms and that since her vitals were good we could either let her stay over night to ride it out or just come home with us and just watch for a UTI in case it affected her kidneys," explained Shannon.

"It took about an hour car ride to get to the emergency vet that was open, because it was a Sunday. But by the time we got back to the house she was already starting to be normal. She was extra sleepy that night and a little clingier than usual but totally back to normal by Monday morning."

Although Shannon's pet dog got away with a simple trip and mild symptoms, ingesting wild mushrooms can be extremely dangerous for dogs and at times fatal.

According to the American Kennel Club, there exists a misbelief with many owners that dogs won't eat toxic mushrooms as they're able to identify them by scent, but this is completely false. Dogs will attempt to eat toxic mushrooms, just as they would most objects, but some variations even have a fishy odor, proving even more tempting to a four-legged friend.

The American Kennel Club advises that owners do not let their pets eat any form of wild mushrooms, even if you feel you are able to differentiate between toxic and non-toxic ones.

"They are also often difficult to distinguish from the non-toxic varieties, so veterinarians recommend treating all wild mushrooms as potentially toxic and a veterinary emergency," they reported.

Owners are advised to seek immediate help from a veterinarian should their dog eat any wild mushrooms, even if they show no signs of illness, as some provide delayed reactions.

The main effects of toxic mushroom consumption for dogs are: vomiting, diarrhea, salivation, weakness, lethargy, ataxia (staggering gait), coma, seizures, liver failure, jaundice, abdominal pain and even death.

Normal store-bought mushrooms, however, are perfectly fine for dogs to eat, as long as they are served plain.

Labrador on a boat smiling
Image of Miley on the boat. Shannon