Dog Saved After Getting Head Stuck in Pipe in 5-Hour Rescue Mission

A group of dedicated first responders worked closely for five hours in order to rescue a dog trapped in a cast iron pipe.

On Thursday, the Kennett Fire Department of Kennett, Missouri, was called in on a unique rescue mission for a dog who had been trapped in some equipment on a potato farm.

Fire Chief Paul Spain told Newsweek that the dog was believed to have gotten stuck in the Black Gold potato farm's harvesting and planting pipe system days prior before someone realized the animal couldn't get out on her own.

"At some point within the past few days, they had noticed a dog that had managed to get its head stuck in a cast-iron pipe," Spain said. "It was about five inches, then reduced to about three inches.

"This animal, they say it was probably chasing a rabbit or some other animal, and it chased it into the pipe. Evidently, the little girl, her head went in too far and she became trapped."

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

After Black Gold's managers called in a local fire team, Spain's department was brought in when it was clear additional rescue equipment was needed.

"Immediately, we kind of got it where we could manipulate the pipe with the animal," Spain told Newsweek. "We didn't want to cut too close to the animal, and we needed to get it to a local veterinarian."

Spain called on Tena Petix of the Kennett Humane Department to see if any vets could help with the rescue mission. Fortunately, Kennett Veterinary Clinic's Dr. Everett Mobley was available and more than willing to help.

"We [Mobley and I] assisted once they were able to free the dog enough to get it back to the vet," Petix told Newsweek. "It was definitely a scary situation with the dog's neck being so close to the pipe. We had to take a lot of time with it."

Dog stuck in cast iron pipe rescued
A little dog who got its head stuck in a cast iron pipe was miraculously freed after a five-hour rescue mission. Left to Right: Paul Spain, Kennett Fire Department/Facebook, Tena Petix, Kennett Humane Department/Facebook

Although Spain estimated the ordeal took about three to four hours, Petix believed it took closer to five hours total to free the dog.

"We got the animal sedated a little bit more, and little bit more strategic cuts had to be made. It was just a very careful and very time-consuming [task]," Spain said.

"We'd have to stop and cool the pipe down because it was getting too hot," Petix added.

"We finally managed to get it cut down enough to where he could put the animal under enough to fully remove the cast iron…collar that was made of heavier metal," Spain recalled.

Spain noted it was lucky they got to the dog when they did, before the temperatures got too high—which may have resulted in a much worse outcome.

"Fortunately, our temperatures here had not been up. They've been in the mid-70s as far as high temperatures," he said. "I know in our area [soon] we're probably gonna hit 90 degrees, so it would have been a lot worse had we had not rescued the animal when we did."

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Footage Petix posted to Facebook then shows Mobley and his staff using lubrication to ultimately slide the dog's head out from the remainder of the pipe.

Facebook viewers expressed their admiration for the dedicated team's work to save the dog.

"Awesome job to all of you involved!!" one viewer wrote. "Poor puppy! Glad the firemen and Vet helped it! Thank you," another added.

The dog—who has since been christened as "Piper Rose" by her rescuers—still has quite the fight ahead of her. She has a host of medical issues that need to be addressed before she can be released to the care of the Humane Department.

"She was covered in ticks, so she could have tick-borne diseases," Petix told Newsweek. "She was also heart worm positive, so she will need to go through heartworm treatment or it will die. And she was severely emaciated and dehydrated."

Spain told Newsweek that the area in which Piper was found has a reputation for abandoning animals.

"Given the situation of the area, this was a dog that probably been dumped," Spain said. "The road…is kind of well-known for, unfortunately, a lot of animals [getting] dumped along that road occasionally.

However, Petix confirmed that while Piper has a fight ahead of her, she already shows signs of progress.

"She was eating and drinking, and it looks like she's headed in the right direction," she told Newsweek. "But with the heartworm treatment, that's very serious. Kind of [just need to] play it by ear to see how it works out."

Petix did note that upon Piper's release from the vet's office, she will be available for adoption. Spain himself even shared his hopes to bring her into his family.

"When I pulled the main part of the pipe off, I think I was the first one she looked at and she started wagging her tail," he told Newsweek. "I was like, 'OK, you're gonna have to go home with the fire chief!'"

Spain also shared with Newsweek his gratitude for the team involved in saving Piper.

"We don't run into this kind of stuff very often," he said. "For a lot of us, animals mean just as much as human lives to us…It was a very long, tedious thing, and we were very glad to be a part of it."