Donald Trump Walks to Marine One, Gives Thumbs Up, Says He is 'Doing Well'

Giving onlookers a thumbs up sign, President Donald Trump walked without assistance to Marine One Friday on his way to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Trump is expected to remain at the hospital for a few days after testing positive for COVID-19.

Trump, who wore a face mask, was followed to the helicopter by White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows. First Lady Melania Trump was not seen with the president, although she has also tested positive for COVID-19.

President Trump walks out of the White House under his own power to Marine One before heading to Walter Reed, followed by Mark Meadows

— Jordan Fabian (@Jordanfabian) October 2, 2020

White House physician Sean Conley said Friday that Trump had been given medication for COVID-19 including a dose of Regeneron, a "clonal antibody cocktail." After receiving treatment, Trump was still "feeling fatigued," according to a Friday statement from White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany.

donald Trump thumbs up
President Donald Trump gives a thumbs-up as he walks to Marine One. Drew Angerer/Getty

In a video posted to Twitter concerning his trip to Walter Reed, Trump thanked Americans for their support. "I think I'm doing very well," Trump said, "but we're going to make sure that things work out."

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020

Trump arrived at the hospital at approximately 6:30 p.m. EST. According to CBS News, Trump was not taken to the emergency room at Walter Reed, but taken directly to the presidential suite. Newsweek reached out to Walter Reed for comment.

After Trump's transferral to Walter Reed was announced, some on social media believed he would be too ill to walk to the helicopter without assistance.

"In my entire life I've never seen a video of Marine One parked with the blades blocking the view of the South Portico," wrote Senior Adviser for Veterans Affairs at the Lincoln Project Fred Wellman. "Take that for what it's worth but I'll bet my left foot he isn't walking out to hop on the helicopter."

After Trump's walk to Marine One, Wellman tweeted, "Dammit. I like my left foot too."

Watching the live shot of the White House. In my entire life I’ve never seen a video of Marine One parked with the blades off blocking the view of the South Portico. Take that for what it’s worth but I’ll bet my left foot he isn’t walking out to hop on the helicopter.

— Fred Wellman (@FPWellman) October 2, 2020

In light of Trump's coronavirus diagnosis, a spokesperson for Vice President Mike Pence and Second Lady Karen Pence said Friday that the couple did not test positive for COVID-19.

"As has been routine for months, Vice President Pence is tested for COVID-19 every day," tweeted Pence spokesperson Devin O'Malley. "This morning, Vice President Pence and the Second Lady tested negative for COVID-19. Vice President Pence remains in good health and wishes the Trumps well in their recovery."

Pence was not required to quarantine, according to a Friday statement from his physician, Dr. Jesse T. Schonau.

"Under the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Vice President is not considered a close contact with any individuals who have tested positive for COVID, including President Donald J. Trump," Schonau wrote. "Vice President Mike Pence remains in good health and is free to go about his normal activities."