Dramatic Video Shows Car Chase Ending in Police Shooting in Hong Kong

A dramatic video captured on Thursday in Sha Tin, Hong Kong, shows the tail end of a wild car chase ending in a police shooting.

The video was recorded from the dash-cam of a nearby taxi, and shows a Hong Kong police officer with a gun drawn as a vehicle attempts to squeeze out of tightly controlled traffic.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

The footage shows the vehicle trying to make a desperate escape by ramming into nearby cars – ultimately sacrificing its rear bumper – while the officer dodges the attempts.

Eventually, the car came to a halt and the officer can be seen smashing the vehicle's window with a baton. At the same time, another officer out of frame opened fire, striking the suspect's shoulder, the South China Morning Post reported.

"We tried to stop the car ... but the driver continued his escape, refused to open the door and hit more cars," Chief Inspector Ng Tak-nam from the New Territories South regional crime squad, told the outlet.

"Even when his car was trapped [on Ngan Shing Street], he continued to smash into other vehicles. We think that pulling the gun in such a situation is lawful and reasonable," he added.

The suspect, a 45-year-old-man with the last name of Hung, was sent for treatment at Prince of Wales Hospital following the shooting. The suspect's 37-year-old girlfriend and a two-year-old child, who were also in the car, were not hurt, the Post reported.

However, authorities said Thursday that a 65-year-old female passenger in a separate car, a 52-year-old male taxi driver, and two male police officers suffered minor injuries during the chase.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong police shot a suspect on Thursday after a wild car chase. Here, police are seen standing guard on a street in Hong Kong on April 7, 2021. ANTHONY WALLACE/Getty Images

The chase first began around 9:53 a.m. when traffic police discovered that the suspect's vehicle had a license plate that expired in 2015. Police then ordered the vehicle to stop, but the suspect sped off in the opposite direction of traffic.

That resulted in a six-minute, three-mile car chase in which the suspect sped through four red lights and crashed into a bus, two private cars, two taxis and a police vehicle along the way, the Post reported.

Ng said Thursday that if police hadn't opened fire in the end, the suspect would have likely injured more drivers on the road. Authorities said they gave Hung multiple warnings throughout the chase, and that the shooting was in line with police use of force guidelines.

After the chase, police discovered that the car did not belong to Hung and found suspected burglary tools such as hammers, gloves and pliers inside the vehicle.

Hung has since been arrested and was charged with at least six offenses, including dangerous driving, furious driving and driving without a valid license, the Post reported. He and his girlfriend are also being held for possession of an instrument fit for unlawful purposes, which could result in up to two years in prison if convicted.

Newsweek contacted Hong Kong police for an additional comment, but did not hear back in time for publication.