England vs. Sweden: Expert Predictions, Betting Odds, Preview for Quarterfinal World Cup Match

England seemingly shook off ghosts of World Cups past in a stunning win over Colombia, which required penalties after extra time left the sides deadlocked. Now, they're set to take on Sweden on Saturday in the quarterfinals—a tough matchup against a team that has played quite well in its last few games.

While England is the favorite heading into the match, defender John Stones said they cannot underestimate Sweden.

"They've got a lot of quality," he said ahead of the match, according to Reuters. "They play very structured from the back, sit quite deep from what we've seen, and we know what we're up against. Sometimes they can throw you these teams, they can go kind of under the radar, but there is no question they are a good team. They wouldn't be where they are if they weren't."

Sweden advanced to the quarterfinals via a 1-0 victory over Switzerland. They'll likely face a tough matchup taking on England, but their captain spoke with confidence about their game-plan. 

"If you look at the games we have played, the opponent has had more ball possession than we have, but we have created more chances, more dangerous chances," Andreas Granqvist said, via Reuters. "This is how we play, this is what we need to do, this is our strength, and we also need to see our quality against other strong teams. This is the way for us to have success, and we're going to continue this way."

harold kane England's forward Harry Kane celebrates after scoring the opening goal from the penalty spot during the Russia 2018 World Cup Round of 16 football match between Colombia and England at the Spartak Stadium in Moscow on July 3, 2018. Alexander Nemenov/AFP/Getty Images

England, meanwhile, advanced via their first-ever World Cup penalty shootout victory. It was a massive relief for English fans to see their squad move on in such dramatic fashion after suffering so many heartbreaks. 

"I don't mind admitting I had a tear in my eye after that," said English soccer great Gary Lineker, according to the BBC. "There's nothing like it. I always wondered what it would feel like to win a penalty shootout in a World Cup. It feels very special. We've waited so long to see that type of reaction. It's joyous."

England is widely considered to be the favorite in the matchup with Sweden. Odds Shark pegged England's money-line odds in the match at -130 while Sweden was at +387. 

The experts seemed to think England was going to win as well. BBC Sport's Mark Lawrenson predicted a 2-0 win for the squad over Sweden. No ESPN experts predicted an outright Swedish victory (although some predicted a tie, which would mean more penalties). The model from data-centric website FiveThirtyEight gave England a 62 percent chance of winning and Sweden a 38 percent chance. Sports Illustrated's Planet Fútbol, meanwhile, predicted a 2-0 victory for England. 

Join the Discussion