Ewan McGregor Blasts 'Racist' Attacks on 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' Co-Star

Ewan McGregor Moses Ingram Racism Star Wars
Ewan McGregor defended his "Obi-Wan Kenobi" co-star Moses Ingram against "horrendous" racist attacks on Tuesday. Above, McGregor and Ingram are pictured together during a press event in London on May 12, 2022. Karwai Tang/WireImage/Getty

Star Wars series leading actor and executive producer Ewan McGregor has denounced those who participate in "racist" attacks on his Obi-Wan Kenobi co-star Moses Ingram.

In a video labeled "a personal message from Ewan McGregor" and shared to the official Star Wars Twitter account on Tuesday evening, McGregor celebrated the miniseries recently becoming "the most-watched Disney+ original premiere of all time" before shifting focus to the "horrendous" vitriol being directed toward Ingram, who is Black.

"It seems that some of the fanbase ... have decided to attack Moses Ingram online and send her the most horrendous, racist DMs," McGregor said in the video. "I heard some of them this morning and it just broke my heart. Moses is a brilliant actor, she's a brilliant woman and she's absolutely amazing in this series. She brings so much to the series, she brings so much to the franchise."

"It just sickened me to my stomach to hear that this had been happening," he continued. "I just want to say—as the leading actor in the series, as the executive producer in the series—that we stand with Moses. We love Moses, and if you're sending her bullying messages, you're no Star Wars fan in my mind. There's no place for racism in this world and I totally stand with Moses."

In the series, Ingram stars alongside McGregor as the character Reva Sevander, an "inquisitor" hunting down McGregor's title character and other surviving Jedi 10 years after the events that unfolded in the Star Wars prequel film trilogy.

Ingram on Monday shared multiple racist and threatening messages that had been sent to her on Instagram, including comments that accused her of being a "diversity hire" and one warning that her "days are numbered."

"Long story short, there are hundreds of those, hundreds," Ingram said in a video accompanying the messages. "I also see those of you out there who put on a cape for me and that really does mean the world to me, because there's nothing anybody can do about this."

Shortly after Ingram shared the abusive messages, a show of support for her was posted to the official Star Wars social media accounts, reminding fans that "there are more than 20 million sentient species in the Star Wars galaxy, don't choose to be a racist."

"We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and excited for Reva's story to unfold," the message read. "If anyone intends to make her feel in any way unwelcome, we have only one thing to say: we resist."

Similar racist attacks were previously reported by Star Wars sequel film trilogy actors John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran, who are Black and Asian, respectively. The franchise, and the 2017 film The Last Jedi in particular, has also been disparaged by some, who accused Star Wars of "going woke."

In a tweet shared to the Republican Party's official Twitter account on May 4, or "Star Wars Day," the GOP compared Disney to "Democrats" while accusing the company of "ruining" Star Wars.

Newsweek reached out to Ingram's representatives for comment.