Ex-Raider Henry Ruggs Avoids Jail Time After Missed Alcohol Test, Given 2 Ankle Monitors

Former Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III avoided jail time and was allowed to remain on house arrest but must wear two ankle monitors after he missed a mandatory alcohol test following a fatal crash he's accused of causing by driving drunk, the Associated Press reported.

Justice of the Peace Suzan Baucum told Ruggs and his lawyers she was "comfortable with a higher level of monitoring" after a hearing about Ruggs' delay with a remote breath-alcohol test on November 13.

"But if there are any misses, if there are any problems, if there is any alcohol detected in your system, you need to know that's going to be problematic for this court going forward," she said.

Ruggs will wear a continuous alcohol monitor on one ankle and a GPS monitor on the other.

Attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld said Ruggs met the three-hour requirement when he took the test anyway "out of an abundance of caution" after submitting the negative test on November 13.

Ruggs' lawyers also submitted testimonials from two people who were with Ruggs when he missed the call and didn't hear the signal from the monitor.

"Henry still did the right thing by testing within the window," Chesnoff said, standing with Ruggs before the judge. "He should not be punished because his case attracts so much attention."

Since his release from jail on $150,000 bail on November 3, Ruggs has passed more than 77 breath-alcohol tests, his lawyer told the judge.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

Henry Ruggs, Las Vegas Raiders, Ankle Monitor
Former Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III (right) appears in court with attorney Richard Schonfeld at the Regional Justice Center on November 22, 2021, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ruggs has been ordered to wear an ankle monitor to measure his alcohol level after he missed a court-ordered test. Ruggs faces multiple charges after a fatal car crash. Bizuayehu Tesfaye-Pool/Getty Images

Las Vegas police still have Ruggs' cellphone, Chesnoff said, and have now provided a new phone number to the monitoring system, SCRAM of Nevada.

The hand-held device emitted a signal while Ruggs stood before the judge, requiring Ruggs to submit a breath test after his court hearing.

Police and prosecutors say Ruggs, 22, and his girlfriend, Kiara Je'nai Kilgo-Washington, were injured in the pre-dawn November 2 crash, when Ruggs' Chevrolet Corvette slammed into the rear of a Toyota RAV4 that caught fire.

Tina Tintor, 23, died in the Toyota.

Chesnoff didn't specify Ruggs' injuries but told the judge that a leg cast that initially prevented the use of the ankle monitor has been removed.

Chesnoff and Schonfeld are fighting separately to block prosecutors from accessing Ruggs' medical records, and an attorney for Kilgo-Washington has launched a similar effort on her behalf. A December 8 hearing is scheduled on that question.

Prosecutors say Ruggs' blood-alcohol level was 0.16 percent—twice the legal limit for drivers in Nevada—and his vehicle hit speeds of 156 mph (251 kph) before the crash.

Ruggs is due for a December 16 evidence hearing on two felony driving under the influence charges that each carry mandatory prison time of two to 20 years if he's convicted, plus felony reckless driving and a misdemeanor weapon charge. Police say they found a loaded handgun in his wrecked sports car.

The Raiders released Ruggs just hours after the crash.

The team made Ruggs their first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, from Alabama, and he had been an emerging star for the Raiders this season.

Henry Ruggs, Las Vegas Raiders, Ankle Monitor
Henry Ruggs III (right), a former Raiders wide receiver accused of DUI resulting in death, and attorney David Chesnoff (left) listen to Judge Suzan Baucum during Ruggs' court appearance at the Regional Justice Center on November 22, 2021, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal, Pool/AP Photo