Farrakhan Muhammad, Times Square Shooting Suspect, Arrested at a Florida McDonald's After 4-Day Manhunt

Farrakhan Muhammad, the prime suspect in a shooting in New York's Times Square, was arrested Wednesday in Florida.

Muhammad, 31, was identified by New York Police Department (NYPD) officials as the person of interest in the May 8 shooting. He remained at large for four days before being apprehended by law enforcement.

"While there is no joy today, there is justice," NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said at a press conference.

Authorities, including members of the U.S. Marshals Service, caught up with Muhammad and his girlfriend just outside of Jacksonville. The suspect was arrested in a McDonald's parking lot and was taken into custody without incident.

James Essig, the NYPD's chief of detectives, said the department received tips from the public that Muhammad was heading south after the shooting. The tips were later confirmed by surveillance video from a Walmart near Fayetteville, North Carolina.

"I want to thank the public for all your help," Essig said. "We received numerous Crime Stoppers tips that were instrumental in the identification, and it shows how much Crime Stoppers is valuable."

The shooting took place Saturday just before 5 p.m. when an argument broke out between two to four men near West 44th Street and Seventh Avenue. A gun was pulled during the dispute, but the shooter struck three other people, including a child.

The victims were a 4-year-old girl from Brooklyn, a 23-year-old female tourist and a 43-year-old woman from New Jersey. Each suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds and were recovering at Bellevue Hospital.

The NYPD released a video of the suspect on Twitter just hours after the shooting and asked for anyone who had information about the man's identity or whereabouts to contact the department.

The department also released a photo of the suspect on Monday, stating he was 31 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall and 160 pounds.

UPDATE: @NYPDDetectives have identified the suspected wanted in connection to the shooting in Times Square on Saturday, May 8th.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Farrakhan Muhammad please call @NYPDTips at #800577TIPS. He’s 31 years old, 5'6" and 160lbs.s pic.twitter.com/hneBxZzgbc

— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) May 11, 2021

Shea told reporters during a press conference late Saturday that the victims were unintended targets and described them as "innocent bystanders."

Shea said that the 4-year-old girl, who was in town toy shopping with her parents, was shot in the leg and was undergoing surgery. After the shooting, police picked up the little girl and ran to get her to an ambulance.

Alyssa Vogul, the officer who wrapped a tourniquet around the girl's leg and carried her to the ambulance, said the child was the "the strongest person I have ever seen."

"For somebody who has just been shot, she was just standing there, obviously scared, but she wasn't crying or anything," Vogel told Good Morning America. "She only yelled when we were tightening the tourniquet, because that's very painful, but she was very calm for somebody who was in a very traumatic situation."

Vogul, who is a mom herself, said her "motherly instinct" kicked in when she responded to the scene.

Times Square shooting suspect arrested
Police officers are seen in Manhattan's Times Square on May 8. Three people, including a 4-year-old girl, were injured in a shooting near West 44th Street and Seventh Avenue. David Dee Delgado/Getty Images

In response to the shooting, Shea called for greater punishment for the spread of firearms in the city.

"We're very concerned about the proliferation of guns, not only in this incident but throughout New York City the past couple years," Shea said. "We have been taking guns off the street in New York City at an alarming rate over the past two years, and it's time now we have consequences for those."

Mayor Bill de Blasio also called for gun control as he responded to the shooting on Twitter.

"The perpetrators of this senseless violence are being tracked down, and the NYPD will bring them to justice," de Blasio wrote. "The flood of illegal guns into our city must stop."