Firefighters Find Overheated Vibrator After Being Called to Apartment

Firefighters in Belgium who were called out to an apartment by a woman over the smell of something burning discovered that the culprit was an overheating vibrator, with the woman then apparently playing dumb and saying "Wow, what's that?"

The incident took place in Turnhout, a Belgian municipality and city located in the Flemish province of Antwerp, on Saturday.

The fire brigade was called out to the apartment by its concerned resident after the smell of burning was detected coming from the apartment.

Turnhout Belgium
Turnhout, Belgium, where the incident occurred in May 2022. Google Maps/Zenger

At first, it was not immediately clear where the smell was coming from and the fire department had to use a thermal imaging camera to work out what the source of the burning smell was.

Thanks to the special camera, they were able to determine that the source of the heat and smell was coming from a cupboard in the flat.

They opened the cupboard and found that it contained a vibrator that had overheated and even partially melted.

It is currently unclear what caused the vibrator to overheat. The firefighters secured the vibrator and made it safe, bringing an end to the "intervention."

Local media reported that there was no fire damage in the apartment. The identity of the resident who called the fire department has not been revealed.

Officer Nick Eelen told local media: "I have a lot of experience in interventions, but I had not experienced this yet."

He said that the woman had been quite surprised by the find. Eelen said: "'Wow, what's that here?', she said. The vibrator was on a wooden box and was not hanging on the charger, although it also felt warm. What exactly happened, we guessed it, but at a certain point there was a short circuit in the battery of the vibrator."

He added: "In theory, the silicone simply melts and it is over, but if such a device is in a combustible place – such as in this case a wooden box – there could be a fire hazard."

He recommended that people remove the charger from any wall sockets if they are away from home and keep a close eye on their appliances.

This story was provided to Newsweek by Zenger News.