Two Arrested After Five Black Lives Matter Protesters Shot in Minneapolis

Police officers watch as a demonstrator holds a sign in front of a north Minneapolis police precinct during a protest on November 18. Craig Lassig/Reuters

Updated | Police on Tuesday have arrested two suspects after five people were shot during a Black Lives Matter protest Monday night in Minneapolis, where racial tensions have risen since 24-year-old Jamar Clark was shot by police on November 15. He later died.

Five people were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after multiple gunshots were fired Monday during a protest at around 10:30 p.m., police said.

Officers didn't immediately release the names of the suspects but said one is a 32-year-old Hispanic male, who was arrested in south Minneapolis just after noon, and the other is a 23-year-old white male, taken into custody less than an hour earlier in Bloomington, Minnesota. Authorities continue to search for a third suspect said to have fled the scene after the shooting.

The shooting occurred a block from the Minneapolis Police Department's 4th Precinct, where local chapter members of the Black Lives Matter movement have held daily demonstrations since the Clark shooting. No additional details about the incident were released.

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges, who has been criticized recently for failing to "engage directly to de-escalate the current situation brought on by the police," called Monday's incident an "abhorrent shooting."

"We are sparing no efforts to bring any and all those responsible to justice," she said in a statement. "I am committed to keeping our entire city and all of our people safe."

Several witnesses said Clark, an African-American, was in handcuffs when he was shot early on November 15. But police say a preliminary investigation shows he wasn't cuffed at the time. No weapons were found at the scene.

The officers who shot Clark, Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze, have served for seven years, including 13 months with the Minneapolis Police Department. They were placed on standard paid administrative leave during the ongoing investigations. Authorities haven't released video from the scene of the shooting, saying they don't have footage that captures the event in its entirety.

Following demands by activists and the mayor, the FBI agreed to conduct a criminal civil rights investigation into the shooting. At the request of the Minneapolis Police Department, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension also is reviewing the incident.

Just hours after Clark was shot, Black Lives Matter members marched from the scene of the shooting to the 4th Precinct police station. They then occupied the building, demanding that authorities release video of the incident.

Clark's family has asked for the ongoing protests to end. On Tuesday afternoon, thousands of people, including high school students, were seen gathering for the latest Black Lives Matter movement protest.

"White supremacists attacked the ‪#‎4thPrecinctShutDown‬ in an act of domestic terrorism," the group said in a post on Facebook. "We won't be intimidated."

This story has been updated to include police developments on Tuesday.