Flock of Geese Found Decapitated With Wings Torn Off

Canadian police are on the hunt for a mass goose murderer after discovering 14 birds torn to pieces in Toronto.

Officers were called to an industrial area in the north of the city early Monday, where they found the grisly scene, CBC reported.

The 14 birds had been killed in a variety of gruesome ways. Some had been decapitated, some had their wings and legs torn from their bodies and others simply had their necks snapped, police said. The authorities are confident that the brutal attacks were the work of a human—or humans.

GettyImages-99052364 Canada Geese and goslings walk across a golf course on May 12, 2010 in Melton Mowbray, U.K. Fourteen geese were found dead and mutilated in Toronto. Phil Inglis/Getty Images

“This definitely was not another animal attacking these geese,” Constable Jennifer Sidhu told CBC. She explained, “an individual decapitated and tore the wings and the legs off these geese, and actually even snapped some of their necks.” That the bodies were otherwise intact and bereft of claw or tooth marks, indicates this was an act of animal cruelty.

The police are searching for surveillance footage from nearby businesses and asking members of the public to come forward if they have any information about the attack. The Toronto police and Canadian Wildlife Enforcement Directorate are jointly investigating.

According to Toronto’s City News, one surviving goose is being treated at the Toronto Wildlife Centre. Two other injured geese were later found nearby the scene of the crime, and may have belonged to the same flock. Nathalie Karvonen, the centre’s executive director told City News the dead appeared to be older goslings.

Geese are not known for their cordial relations with humans, their belligerent attitude and terrifying hissing making them the bane of many park-goers. This is not the first time a human has abused a flock, though this incident is unique in its brutality.

Last year, two geese were found impaled with arrows on Lake Couchiching, to the north of Toronto. It is not clear who shot them, but veterinarians believe they had been living with the arrows in them for at least a month. Both underwent surgery and survived, though one had a cardiac arrest during the operation. Both underwent physiotherapy to help their recovery. One of the geese was also found to have been shot at least twice. Vets were unable to safely remove the bullets.

Earlier this week, a Connecticut man was charged with animal cruelty for running over a flock of geese as they crossed the road in the city of Waterbury. Moses Wilson, 70, later called police and admitted the crime, in which several goslings were hurt and at least one killed.

Join the Discussion