Florida Man Remains Unconscious Days After Being Struck by Lightning While He Was Sitting in Wheelchair Under a Tree

A Florida man who was struck by lightning a few days ago while sitting under a tree in his wheelchair remains unconscious, according to reports.

Nick Williams, 28, from Pompano Beach, was hit on Sunday in the Leasureville community, WPLG Local 10 reported.

Following the incident, his family set up a GoFundMe page with a donation goal of $15,000.

"On Sunday, August 4th, Nick Williams was out wheeling around his neighborhood," the description on the page read. "He likes to sit under a tree and during this time he was struck by lightning. Thankfully, a neighbor across the street heard what sounded like an explosion, and had her husband call 911."

While her husband called 911, the neighbor rushed to help Nick, finding his wheelchair on fire.

"They do believe [the lightning] hit the tree he was sitting under," Emily Netter, Williams' fiancee, told WPLG. "We were told that the tree was smoldering when they responded and his chair was on fire."

The neighbor stayed with Williams until first responders from Pompano Beach Fire Rescue arrived, according to the GoFundMe page.

Paramedics found him burned and unconscious and rushed him to North Broward medical center, having to revive him on the way there.

"He was then put on a ventilator and was transferred to Ryder Trauma Center Burn Unit at Jackson Memorial where he is now in critical but stable condition," the description on the GoFundMe page read. "He is starting to show signs of improvement and brain activity. However, he is still unconscious and on a ventilator. The family is taking it one day at a time and waiting for him to wake up. Nick is a positive light and an inspiration to so many! Please continue to pray to a speedy recovery!"

At the time of writing, more than 120 people have raised around $8,400 dollars on the crowdfunding page. Yesterday, the family posted an update thanking people for their support.

"We are so grateful for all of you that continue to reach out and pray for Nick Williams, he is so incredibly strong and we are so proud of the progress he has made since Sunday," the update read. "We love and appreciate all of you more than you know."

The chances of being struck by lightning are very low—less than one in a million.

Nevertheless, lightning strikes are one of the leading causes of weather-related fatalities, causing an average of around 30 deaths every year in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Only about 10 percent of people who are struck by lightning are killed, although the remaining 90 percent are often left with varying degrees of disability, according to the National Weather Service.

Lightning strikes can kill quickly by stopping the heart, although some victims die hours or days later due to irreversible brain damage.

lightning
Stock photo: Bolts of lightning. iStock