Florida Woman Dies from Flesh-Eating Bacteria after Cutting Her Leg Walking on Beach: 'She Loved the Ocean..It's the Place That Took Her Life'

A woman who cut herself while walking along the water on the Florida beach she loved died after contracting necrotizing fasciitis, becoming the latest victim of the flesh-eating bacteria.

Lynn Fleming, from Ellenton, about 15 miles north of Sarasota, fell and cut herself while she was walking at Coquina Beach on nearby Anna Maria Island two weeks ago.

Her son, Wade Fleming told Tampa's Fox 13: "There was a little depression [on her leg] that she couldn't see because it was under the water."

He continued: "She fell into it, came out with a little 3/4-inch cut; a bump on her leg. It was just a small cut, didn't think much of it. We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding."

Children beach Florida
Illustrative image: A woman who cut herself while walking along the water on the Florida beach she loved, contracted necrotizing fasciitis. Carlo Allegri/Getty Images

Lynn went to the doctor a couple of days later where she was given a tetanus shot and an antibiotic.

The next day, Lynn was found unconscious at her home. She was subsequently diagnosed with having the flesh-eating bacteria. Doctors tried to save her infected leg with multiple surgeries, but there were complications and she died on Thursday after suffering two strokes and sepsis.

Florida woman dies of flesh-eating bacteria two weeks after cutting herself at beach https://t.co/oyekrDs7zc

— WPLG Local 10 News (@WPLGLocal10) June 29, 2019

Wade Fleming's wife, Traci told Fox: "This is the place she loved. She couldn't wait to get down here and retire. She loved the ocean; she loved walking on the beach. Unfortunately, it's the place that took her life by freak accident."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says cases of flesh-eating bacteria are rare, with around 500 to 1,500 cases reported annually in the U.S.

Necrotizing fasciitis destroys tissue under the skin that can be caused by a number of different bacteria, the most common being Group-A Strep and Vibrio, which are drawn to warm water such as that off the coast of Florida.

mike walton2
Illustrative image: Necrotizing fasciitis can be deadly. Ozona Fish Camp

However the CDC has reported cases up the Atlantic Coast as far as Delaware and New Jersey.

Earlier in June, a 12-year-old girl from Indiana contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while visiting the beach town of Destin on the Florida Panhandle, Bradenton.com reported.

People who are susceptible to infection are those with an open wound as well as people with an underlying medical condition.

The CDC recommends those with open wounds and active infections "to avoid bodies of water, especially swimming pools and hot tubs."

Meanwhile, Wade Fleming warned people to take precautions in the water.

"We would like people to get educated on it. I'm not telling anyone not to go the beach.

"We love the beach, but I'd like to see some information from the paramedics and lifeguards encouraging immediate treatment for even a small nick if they are swimming, and let people know that, hey, this is a possibility," he said, according to the Miami Herald.