Fred Meyer Shootings: Suspect Remains At Large, Investigation Ongoing

Live Updates
  • A shooting at a Fred Meyer grocery store in Richland, Washington, left one person dead and another in critical condition.
  • The shooter fled the store after the incident and remains at large, according to the Richland Police Department.
  • Around a dozen shots rang out across the store, according to officials, adding that the weapon in question was a handgun.
  • Eyewitness accounts stated that the shooting appeared to stem from an argument between the suspect and another individual—it is unclear what caused this riff.
  • The suspect was caught on closed circuit television camera within the Fred Meyer, and his image was circulated around social media in an effort to locate him.
  • Law enforcement urged anyone with information on the suspect to contact 911, adding that they hoped to catch him "sooner rather than later."

Live updates for this blog have ended.

Fred Meyer Shooting Suspect
This image from security camera video provided by the Richland, Wash., police shows a shooting suspect at a Fred Meyer store in Richland on Monday, Feb. 7, 2022. Richland Police Department via AP

Suspect remains at large, investigation ongoing

In the latest press conference from the Richland Police Department (RPD), officials stated that the investigation into the shooting at a Fred Meyer supermarket remains ongoing.

The shooting, which occurred Monday morning, left one person dead and another injured. The injured person reportedly remains in critical condition at a local hospital.

Officials stated they would not be releasing the suspect's name at this time, but the fact he remained at large. The RPD urged anyone who came in contact with the suspect to keep their distance and call 911.

RPD remained optimistic that they would catch the suspect "sooner rather than later."

The names of the two victims were not released until their families had been notified, police said. It is unclear when any further information on the victims will be released.

RPD added that any additional information about the shooting would be relayed on their website.

Eyewitness says that around "a dozen" shots were fired

An eyewitness who was inside the Fred Meyer supermarket told reporters that he heard "around a dozen shots fired" during the shooting.

The man told KAPP/KVEW-TV reporter Neil Fischer that following the gunshots, "he rushed to try and help an employee who he says had been shot." At least one person died as a result of the shooting, it is unclear if this was the individual that the man attended to.

In addition to the one death that law enforcement has so far confirmed, at least one additional person was injured during the shooting. The suspect remains at large, and police say that they are "actively looking for [him]."

Eyewitness describes 'terror' in people's eyes

An eyewitness to the aftermath of the shooting described an unfolding and chaotic scene as people scrambled for cover.

"The terror in the eyes of these people that came and took cover in my shop - I have never seen terror in anyone's eyes quite like what I saw there," the witness said during an interview with KIRO news radio.

The witness did not identify by name, but may have been the proprietor of one of the store's located near Fred Meyer. The grocery store was the scene of a morning shooting that left one person dead and another person wounded.

Person of interest identified

Richland Police have identified a person of interest in connection to Monday's shooting inside the Fred Meyer grocery store, as new details are released about what led to the deadly encounter.

The man who was killed had an "interaction" with the suspect inside the store, Richland Police Commander Chris Lee said during a news briefing Monday afternoon.

"We don't know exactly to what extent that was, but they did have a conversation," Lee said after reviewing video.

Lee said it is unclear if the two knew each other prior to Monday, but the suspect is known to law enforcement.

Police did not release the suspect's name or any other information as they work to apprehend him. Lee said officers are searching in the immediate area. He also said there is no known suspect vehicle at this time.

The second victim was a Fred Meyer employee. He was taken to a hospital and is currently listed in critical condition. Lee said that victim is undergoing surgery.

Police did not provide additional details about the victims, only saying they were both white males.

Lee said there are no other known victims.

BREAKING: Police release new information on the shooting at Richland Fred Meyer.

Lockdown lifted at Pasco schools

The Pasco School District (PSD) lifted its lockdown at all campuses Monday afternoon.

"In collaboration with the Pasco Police Department, the lockout at all Pasco schools and facilities has been lifted," PSD tweeted around 2:15 p.m.

"School will be released on time."

All schools were placed on a "non-critical lockdown" earlier Monday as a precaution, following the shooting inside Fred Meyer.

The Richland School District (RSD) also provided an update just after 2 p.m. Monday, saying its students would be released on schedule.

"Families are welcome to pick up their children at the end of the school day. Richland Police Department will have officers visible in the community out of an abundance of caution."

RSD also placed its schools and facilities on a "non-critical lockdown." RSD did not specify if the lockout has been lifted.

Businesses Near Fred Meyer Shooting Put on Lockdown

As police continue to investigate the shooting at the Fred Meyer grocery store, nearby businesses have been put on lockdown.

When speaking on the phone to Newsweek, an employee of the nearby SBN Marble, Granite & Tile store said that they have been locked down. The employee, who did not give her name, said that the police had shut down the surrounding area as part of their ongoing investigation, preventing any customers or employees from entering or leaving the premises.

This lockdown extends to other businesses, as well. According to local news reporter Neil Fischer for KAPP-TV, the nearby Goodwill has also been put on an active shooter lockdown, going so far as to put signs on their windows.

Pasco District schools placed on 'non-critical lockdown'

All schools within the Pasco School District (PSD) have been placed on a "non-critical lockdown" as police continue searching for the man suspected in the Fred Meyer store shooting.

"PSD schools and district facilities are in a non-critical lockout," the school district tweeted.

"This decision was made in collaboration with the Pasco PD as a precaution due to the incident that took place today, Mon., Feb. 7, at Fred Meyer in Richland. Will update when the lockout is lifted."

All schools and facilities in the Richland School District (RSD) were also placed on a "non-critical lockdown" early Monday afternoon. RSD is providing transportation to help with "reunification efforts."

"At the request of the Richland fire and police departments, RSD has provided two school buses to assist with reunification efforts at the Fred Meyer on Wellsian Way," a notice reads on the RSD website.

"All RSD schools and facilities remain in non-critical lockdown. We will let families know as soon as the non-critical lockdown is lifted."

Fred Meyer 'deeply saddened' by shooting, store to remain closed amid investigation

In a statement sent to Newsweek, a spokesperson for Fred Meyer said that the company was "deeply saddened" by the shooting at their Richland store.

"The entire Fred Meyer family offers our thoughts, prayers, and support to all affected individuals and families during this difficult time," the statement said.

The spokesperson added that the company is cooperating with local law enforcement, and referred any questions to the Richland Police Department.

"The store will remain closed while the police investigation continues, and we have initiated counseling services for our associates," the statement said.

Richland Police to hold press briefing

The Richland Police Department will soon provide an update on Monday's deadly shooting inside the Fred Meyer grocery store.

A press conference is scheduled for 2:15 p.m. Monday afternoon.

"The safety of our citizens remains of utmost concern," Richland Police said in a statement.

Police have been on scene for nearly three hours, after receiving reports of yelling and possible gunshots inside the store. Police say they continue to actively search for the suspect.

Roads closed amid investigation

Washington State Patrol (WSP) is among several agencies on scene of the deadly shooting inside a Fred Meyer grocery store in Richland, Washington.

"WSP is assisting with road closures around the Richland Fred Meyers as Richland Police and other local agencies investigate the shooting," WSP Trooper C. Thorson tweeted.

The store is located on Wellsian Way, the street remains closed at this time. Several other stores and eateries are located in the surrounding area.

Police Unsure How Suspect Got Away, Say Handgun Could've Been Used

Richland Police Commander Chris Lee told reporters today that he is not sure how the alleged suspect in the Fred Meyer grocery store shooting left the scene.

In a presser held outside of the scene on Monday, Lee said that they have not been able to locate the suspect and are unsure how the unidentified man left the scene. He also said that they are still determining a motive and that a handgun could have been used as a weapon. However, this has not been confirmed.

Lee urges anyone with potential information on the suspect to contact authorities immediately.

Schools in Richland district placed on 'non-critical lockdown'

All schools and facilities in the Richland School District (RSD) have entered a "non-critical lockdown" due to the police activity at the Fred Meyer store on Wellsian Way, according to a notice on the district's website.

The district said it would update the families of students once the lockdown is lifted.

RSD initially did not place all of its schools on lockdown, limiting the move to Richland High, River's Edge High, Carmichael, Marcus Whitman, Lewis & Clark and district support facilities.

An updated message after the original notice said that all schools and facilities had been put on lockdown.

Police confirm one dead, one injured

The Richland Police Department confirms one person is dead, another is injured in the Fred Meyer shooting, according to the Tri-City Herald.

Richland Police Commander Chris Lee believes the suspect left the store, the Tri-City Herald reported.

Multiple agencies responded to the store on Wellsian Way in Richland following the shooting late Monday morning.

New Photo of Shooting Suspect Released by Police

Richland Police Department has released a new photo of the alleged suspect in the Fred Meyer grocery store shooting.

The photo shows the man without a face covering. He appears to be wearing a black vest and a plaid shirt underneath. Authorities are asking anyone with information regarding the suspect's identity to contact them immediately.

"If you recognize this individual or have any information on his whereabouts, please call Non- Emergency dispatch," wrote the police department on Facebook.

2 People Reportedly Shot at Richland Store

Two people have reportedly been shot in the Fred Meyer grocery store in Richland, Washington.

According to local news station KNDO-TV, two people were supposedly injured in the suspected shooting. The identities of those reportedly injured, as well as the severity of their reported injuries, have not been released.

Police advise residents to avoid area amid search for 'armed and dangerous' suspect

The Kennewick Police Department released photos of the suspect believed to be connected to the reported shooting Monday at a Fred Meyer store in Richland, Washington.

The department described the suspect as "armed and dangerous" and advised residents to avoid the area because of police activity.

In the photos, a white man wearing a plaid shirt, dark-colored vest and what looks to be a black mask or partial face covering is shown. Another photo shows a white pickup truck, but Kennewick Police later clarified in a tweet that the vehicle was not involved in the incident.