George Conway Criticizes Trump for Fueling Threats of Violence: 'This Is a Scary Thing'

George Conway, the husband of President Donald Trump's former counselor Kellyanne Conway, said he is concerned Trump is fueling threats of violence ahead of a January 6 protest in support of the president.

"Trump is out there now tweeting stuff like, 'it's gonna be wild on January 6th,'" said Conway during a Monday appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe. "He's inviting and retweeting tweets about people coming to Washington to do Lord knows what. And, you know, it's going to be groups like the Proud Boys...and QAnon, and all the crazies."

"On the message boards, apparently, there are basically threats of violence," Conway continued. "And this is a scary thing."

Trump supporters organized a protest to demand that Congress overturn the election results on January 6, the day lawmakers are scheduled to certify Electoral College votes, confirming President-elect Joe Biden's win.

The protests will be held in Washington, D.C. as participants plan to march around the Capitol, Washington Monument and Freedom Plaza.

CNN televisioin coverage of Donald Trump impeachment
George Conway said Monday he's concerned President Donald Trump is fueling threats of violence ahead of a January 6 protest in support of the president in Washington, D.C. Here Conway is seen in a television screen shot from February 5. Photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images/Getty

Proud Boys chairman Enrique Tarrio previously announced that members of the far-right group will attend the event.

"The ProudBoys will turn out in record numbers on January 6th but this time with a twist," Tarrio said in a statement posted on Parler, a social media platform. "We will be incognito and we will spread across downtown DC in smaller teams." He added the group "might dress in all black for the occasion."

Judging by online chats between members of far-right groups, violence involving guns could also break out at the event. The president, however, has continued to promote the protest despite concerns of violence.

In a 30-second clip posted to Trump's Twitter account on Saturday, the president touted the upcoming "March for Trump" protest, calling it potentially the "biggest event in Washington D.C. history."

In December, Trump also encouraged supporters to attend, promising the protest "will be wild."

In response to the concerns that violence will erupt during the demonstration, the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department posted notices on Monday stating firearms are prohibited in the area from Monday, January 4 to Thursday, January 7.

"Members of the public and anyone attending the events are reminded that District law prohibits anyone from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of any First Amendment activity," said a release from Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bower's office.

"Under federal law, it is illegal to possess firearms on the US Capitol ground and on National Park Service areas, such as Freedom Plaza, the Ellipse, and the National Mall," the release added.

Newsweek reached out to Conway but didn't hear back in time for publication.