Georgia Boy Recovering After Trying to Save His Dog From a House Fire

A teenage boy is recovering after trying to save his dog from a house fire in Georgia. Brian Ridulfo stayed inside the family home in Pembroke to make sure his siblings and their dog, Minnie, were safely outside after their house caught fire early Monday morning.

"At first, I didn't know what was going on, my mom told me to get out of the house. I said well why is it so hot and I stood up and when I stood up it was really hot, so I went down to the ground," Brian told WTOC.

"I kept on hearing glass break, so I heard my mom and my uncle call my name and so I went to the window and I got out and I told my mom that the dog was gone."

Brian spent three days in the burn unit of an Augusta hospital where doctors inserted tubes down his throat to get his lungs flushed from the smoke he inhaled.

"Y'all please pray for my boy! We made it out the fire but unfortunately not all of us were uninjured," Brian's mother Crystal Ridulfo wrote in a Facebook post.

"Brian almost gave his life trying to save our dog! She didn't make it but she's now watching over us! We are in the burn unit in Augusta so Brian Ridulfo can get his lungs flushed out!"

Crystal Ridulfo described Monday's fire as a nightmare, as she watched the family home burn.

"I yelled for Brian, I yelled all of their names. Brian, Biangi, Italia, Saraia, ya'll get up now there's a fire," the mother of four told WTOC from beside her son's hospital bed.

In an update posted to Facebook, Ridulfo said her other three children were "doing fine" and she was thankful to still be alive.

She and her son Brian are still recovering from cuts and burns. They say it's an experience they'll never forget.

"You don't really know what are the right and proper steps to take, but I just knew that I needed to get them out and I was going to do whatever I had to get them out," Ridulfo said.

The family is currently staying with a family friend after Brian was released from hospital on Wednesday.

"He still has his moustache y'all. It didn't get burned off," Ridulfo said in a video she shared of her and Brian leaving hospital. "He's back to his usual self that's for sure".

Newsweek has contacted the Pembroke Fire Department and the family for comment.

House fire
File photo: Firefighters tackle a blaze on November 17, 2020 in Reno, Nevada. A 13-year-old boy is recovering in hospital with burns after his family home in Pembroke, Georgia, caught fire. Trevor Bexon/Getty