Georgia Teenager Dies in 'Bucket List' Skydiving Accident

A teenage girl in Georgia has died after taking part in her first-ever skydive.

Jeanna Renee Triplicata, 18, was taking part in a tandem jump with a professional instructor at SkyDive Atlanta when both chutes failed to open properly on Sunday.

Both Triplicata and her instructor, Nick Esposito, 35, died crashing into a field in Upson County.

Her family said they were taking part in a dive together so Triplicata could tick off an item on her bucket list, which she hoped to complete before she started her freshman year at the University of North Georgia in August. The other items on the lists included getting a tattoo and a nose ring.

"Jeanna wasn't scared a bit," her father, Joey Triplicata, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "She had wanted to do this, for whatever reason."

Joey Triplicata and the teen's grandmother, Renee, had both successfully completed their skydive before witnessing the 18-year-old plummet through the air.

"It was the worst day of our lives," Joey Triplicata added. "It doesn't even seem real. We're going to miss her every day for the rest of our lives."

Upson Sheriff Dan Kilgore said an investigation has been launched into both deaths.

"Upon exiting the aircraft, the primary parachute failed to open properly and went into a spin," Kilgore told AJC. "The emergency parachute did not deploy until extremely low altitude and did not fully open."

Elsewhere, an online fundraising campaign has been set up to help the family pay for the 18-year-old's funeral expenses.

"Jeanna was a fearless, loving, and beautiful daughter who had recently graduated from Northgate High School and was about to begin her college life at the University of North Georgia specializing in education," a description on the GoFundMe page reads.

"While there is nothing that we can do to bring back this sweet soul nor replace her spirit, we are all speechless and looking for a way to support the Triplicata family."

In a statement to 11 Alive, Skydive Atlanta said: "On Sunday, July 12th at approximately 1 p.m., a fatal accident occurred during a tandem skydive.

"After an uneventful freefall, a parachute malfunction occurred resulting in the passing away of both instructor and student. Eyewitnesses confirm that the main parachute was deployed.

"At this time, Skydive Atlanta is working with local authorities and the FAA in this active investigation to clarify the details of what caused the accident."

Skydive Atlanta's Owner Trey Holladay added: "Our community is devastated for both our team member and the student and their respective families.

"We are all stunned and truly at a loss for words as we are a close-knit family. We have spoken with the next of kin and all are asking for privacy while we process and grieve."

Kilgore has been contacted for further comment.

sky dive
(File photo) A sky diver from the Paradrenalin France, the biggest centre for sky diving in Europe, completes a jump over the Wadi Rum desert February 24, 2014 in Wadi Rum, Jordan. An-18 year old has died after taking part in her first ever skydive in Georgia. Jordan Pix/Getty