Half of Trump Voters Think Women's Harassment Claims 'Often Cause More Problems Than They Solve,' Poll Shows

A fair number of people who voted for President Donald Trump—just about half—think that women who complain about harassment often create more problems instead of solving anything, according to a new poll released this week.

The survey from YouGov/The Economist asked respondents whether they agreed with this statement: "Women who complain about harassment often cause more problems than they solve."

Among Trump voters, 14 percent said they strongly agreed, while 34 percent agreed somewhat—meaning that overall, 48 percent agreed with the statement to some degree. Forty percent of Trump voters disagreed, to some degree, that "women who complain about harassment often cause more problems than they solve," according to the survey. Twelve percent responded they were not sure.

There was a stark divide along party lines when it concerned women who come forward about harassment. Voters for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, for instance, were far less likely to agree with the idea that women coming forward caused more problems. Just 4 percent strongly agreed with the statement, while 9 percent agreed somewhat—so 13 percent agreed to some degree. Twenty percent of Clinton voters, meanwhile, somewhat disagreed that "women who complain about harassment often cause more problems than they solve," while a full 63 percent disagreed strongly—so 83 percent disagreed to some extent.

The survey from YouGov/The Economist polled 1,500 U.S. adults from September 16 through September 18. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points.

trump rally
President Donald Trump at a campaign rally at the Las Vegas Convention Center on September 20. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

The poll comes during the continued #MeToo movement and high-profile allegations of sexual harassment, misconduct and assault. Nearly a dozen have accused President Trump himself of harassment or misconduct.

And Friday morning, the former reality TV star turned commander in chief tweeted about the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were in high school. Trump attacked the credibility of college professor Christine Blasey Ford.

"I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!" the president tweeted.

Later, he followed up: "The radical left lawyers want the FBI to get involved NOW. Why didn't someone call the FBI 36 years ago?"

Half of Trump Voters Think Women's Harassment Claims 'Often Cause More Problems Than They Solve,' Poll Shows | U.S.