Photo of Hawaii Shark Attack Victim's Surf Board Shows Huge Bite Mark

Hawaiian officials have released images of a shark attack victim's surfboard featuring a huge bite mark measuring approximately 17 inches wide.

The Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) said a 56-year-old male surfer from Lahaina on the island of Maui was attacked by a shark near Honolua Bay on Tuesday morning.

The man—who officials have not named to protect his identity—was reportedly paddling out from the bay's old boat ramp before 8 a.m. local time when the incident occurred.

Conditions in the ocean at the time were poor due to high surf although the DLNR said that water clarity was good in the area.

Maui County Fire Department said the victim was already being given first aid on shore when fire crews arrived, Hawaii News Now reported. He had suffered injuries to his leg, according to the Australian Associated Press reported.

The man was rushed to hospital in critical condition where he underwent surgery. Following the operation, the victim's condition is now stable, Hawaii News Now reported.

On Tuesday, the DLNR released several images of the victim's damaged surfboard in which the large bite mark can be seen. A roughly foot-wide chunk of the board that was ripped of by the shark is also visible in one of the images.

Following the incident, the DLNR put shark warning signs up on either side of Honolua Bay, which will remain in place—according to standard protocol—until at least noon on Wednesday local time. The signs will only be removed when officials decide that there is no "further shark presence."

The World Surf League (WSL) suspended its season-opening Maui Pro competition featuring the world's best female surfers after organizers became aware of the shark attack.

UPDATEDSHARK WARNING SIGNS UP AT MAUI’S HONOLUA BAY AFTER MORNING INCIDENTShark warning signs are up on either side of Honolua Bay after a man encountered a shark this morning. The signs are...

The Maui Pro began earlier this week but competition had not yet started on Tuesday when organizers halted proceedings.

"We had a shark incident with a recreational surfer," WSL chief executive officer Erik Logan said in a video posted to Twitter on Tuesday.

There will be no competition at the Maui Pro today following a shark incident involving a recreational surfer this morning at Honolua Bay. The WSL is working with authorities and our thoughts are with the victim of this incident. The Maui Pro is on hold until further notice. pic.twitter.com/AGZSkF7wKZ

— World Surf League (@wsl) December 8, 2020

"Due to that we are putting our event on hold indefinitely. We'll have more information as it goes as we continue to work with local officials and authorities on the status. Our thoughts and prayers are obviously with this victim."

The latest incident comes just a week after a shark attack in West Maui left a woman with severe injuries to her front torso, the Australian Associated Press reported.

Hawaii shark attack victim's surfboard
The Hawaii shark attack victim's surfboard. Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources