Houston Hobby Airport Evacuation: Toy Grenade Causes Closure At Texas Airport, Boy Scout Detained

The Houston skyline is seen from Hobby International Airport August 30, 2017, in Houston, Texas. The airport was evacuated Thursday due to a toy grenade in a passenger's bag. BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images

A Texas airport was evacuated Thursday because of a toy grenade. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint at Houston's William P. Hobby Airport was closed due to the "novelty grenade" carried by a passenger in their bag.

TSA workers at the checkpoint apparently yelled "Shut it down!" and "Everyone leave!" around 4:35 a.m. local time, according to an Associated Press journalist present at the scene.

The checkpoint was reopened around 6:30 a.m. after a bomb squad determined the object in question was, in fact, a toy, said Houston Airport System spokesperson Bill Begley, according to KSTP-TV. The toy grenade caused more than an hour's worth of delays for both departing and arriving flights. Twelve Southwest flights and one Delta flight were affected, the Houston Chronicle reported.

A 17-year-old Boy Scout, identified as the one carrying the toy grenade, was detained after the incident, KPRC-TV reported. It was unclear whether he would face any penalties as a result.

A similar situation occurred at Miami International Airport in November 2017, when part of the airport was evacuated after a suspicious item was found inside a bathroom. A bomb squad was called and determined the item was a toy grenade.

"It looked real enough for us to implement our safety procedures," Miami Dade Police Detective Lee Coward said at the time, according to CBS.

Just a day before the incident at Hobby Airport, a terminal at Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport was shut down after a passenger made comments about explosives, the AP reported. The passenger reportedly made "an inappropriate comment that immediately set off some protocols," according to Begley, and was detained.