Hurricane Harvey Victims: What We Know About the Dead So Far

Hurricane Harvey
Hurricane Harvey is seen in the Gulf Coast off Texas in this National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration satellite image from August 24. A high-school football coach, a police officer and several children are believed to have died in the storms and flooding. NOAA/Handout via Reuters

After days of torrential rain over southeastern Texas, details have begun to emerge of the victims of Tropical Storm Harvey.

Within hours of the storm making landfall late Friday, it had claimed its first victim in the coastal town of Rockport, with a person killed in a storm-related house fire.

On Saturday, torrential rains fell on Houston, with swaths of the city submerged by Sunday morning and reports of more fatalities.

At the time of publication, 30 people were confirmed to have died in the storm. Here's what we know about the victims and some of those feared dead.

Sergeant Steve Perez

Houston Police Sergeant Steve Perez died on his way to work Sunday, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said Tuesday afternoon.

Sergeant Steve Perez
Houston Police Sergeant Steve Perez died in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Officials said that Perez drove into floodwaters in the dark and drowned. handout

Officials said that Perez drove into an underpass in the dark and became trapped by rising floodwaters and drowned.

"This is an individual who was with [the Houston Police Department], Houston's finest, men and women in blue, for 34 years," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told reporters on Tuesday. "In fact, he was two days' shy of his 61st birthday. And he lost his life on Sunday morning on his way to work."

Ruben Jordan

High school basketball coach Jordan had been missing since Saturday morning, and was last seen helping people from rising waters.

In a statement to Clear Creek High School, where he had taught for more than 20 years, Jordan's family confirmed his death.

"Our family would like to extend our sincere appreciation and thanks for the effort, support and prayers we received while trying to locate him," they said in a statement posted on Facebook. "At this time we ask for your continued support, prayers and respect as we grieve and work toward making arrangements to lay him to rest. Words can't begin to explain how grateful we are to be a part of such a strong, supportive and loving network of friends and family."

Colleagues and former students paid tribute to Jordan.

The district offered their condolences on Twitter.

"Our hearts are heavy with the news of Coach Jordan. Please keep him, his family and the Creek Wildcats in your thoughts during this tragedy," the tweet said.

Ola Mae Crooks

Ola Mae Crooks, 83, died when her vehicle was caught in a flood in Walker County, north of Houston.

Associated Press news agency cited Sergeant Steven McNeil with the Texas Department of Public Safety, who said that Crooks drowned when her car was swept off a farm-to-market road at the San Jacinto River near her home. Authorities recovered her body early Tuesday morning.

Alexander Kwoksum Sung

Harris County confirmed Monday the death of Alexander Kwoksum Sung, 64, in the floods.

He drowned at a Houston clock repair business on Sunday, and his body was found in debris on Monday, said officials in a statement reported by the Houston Chronicle.

Saldivar family

Relatives said four children and their two great-grandparents are presumed dead after the van in which they were trying to flee was swept into a bayou in east Houston and sank Sunday.

Manuel Saldivar, 84, his wife, Belia, 81, and great-grandchildren Devy, 16, Dominic, 14, Xavier, 8, and Daisy, 6, are all believed to have died.

They were last seen by the driver of the vehicle, Sammy Saldivar, Manuel and Belia's son, who was able to escape alive, rescued after grabbing on to a branch and screaming for help.

A sheriff's spokesman told The Washington Post that the deaths were not confirmed, and no bodies were likely to be found until the flood subsides. The water had still not receded enough to search for the van on Wednesday morning.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family.