Reverend Jesse Jackson in Hospital After Fall at Howard University

Reverend Jesse Jackson has been hospitalized after he fell and hit his head while attending a student meeting about living conditions at Howard University in Washington, D.C. on Monday.

The veteran civil rights campaigner and former presidential candidate is "doing well" and resting following his admission to hospital, according to his daughter, Santita Jackson.

The 80-year-old reverend underwent a number of tests including a CT scan, which came back normal, but was kept overnight for observation.

Jackson was admitted to hospital in August with a COVID-19 breakthrough infection and received physical therapy due to the virus' effect on his Parkinson's disease.

Jackson was at Howard University to attend a meeting with students and university president Wayne A.I. Frederick about living conditions in the residential halls of the historically Black college.

Students have been protesting about the matter since the middle of October, arguing that living conditions are substandard due to issues like mold and mice.

Jackson's civil rights group, Rainbow PUSH Coalition, explained how the reverend had been injured.

"When Rev. Jackson entered a building on campus, he fell and hit his head. His staff took him to the Howard University Hospital where various tests were run including a CT scan. The results came back normal. However, hospital officials decided to keep Rev. Jackson overnight for observation," the organization said.

Howard University's official Twitter account also confirmed Jackson had been hospitalized and that the university's president had later gone to the hospital.

"We can confirm that Rev. Jackson was taken to the hospital by a university administrator and was later joined by Dr. Wayne Frederick. Our prayers are with the Jackson family," the university posted.

Santita Jackson, one of Jackson's daughters, took to Twitter to provide an update on her father's condition on Monday and shared an article about his fall.

Family, he's resting comfortably & doing well: we thank u 4 ur prayers! Fighting 4 u is what he'll always do. His goal is 2 ensure the well-being of@HowardU students: #MissionAccomplished

Rev. Jesse Jackson falls while helping Howard U student protesters

— Santita Jackson (@SantitaJ) November 2, 2021

"Family, he's resting comfortably & doing well: we thank u 4 ur prayers! Fighting 4 u is what he'll always do. His goal is 2 ensure the well-being of @HowardU students: #MissionAccomplished," she wrote.

Jesse Jackson has been a major figure in advocating for civil rights and has been recognizable face in American public life for decades. He sought the Democratic nomination for president in 1984 and 1988 and hosted his own show on CNN from 1992 to 2000.

Jackson has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and received weeks of physical therapy in a rehabilitation center following his stay in hospital with COVID-19.

His wife, Jacqueline Jackson, was also diagnosed with COVID-19 and admitted to hospital. Though Jackson was vaccinated, his 77-year-old wife was not.

The virus affected Jackson's Parkinson's disease and his ability to walk and talk, necessitating the physical therapy.

"The shot protected me from death," Jackson said of the COVID-19 vaccine following the therapy.

Jesse Jackson Attends the DNC in 2016
Jesse Jackson watches speakers on the second day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 26, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Jackson has been hospitalized following a fall. ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images