Culture

K-Pop Sex Scandal: Everything We Know So Far

The secret sex video scandal which has rocked the South Korean music industry has claimed another musician after a third high-profile K-pop star announced he will be quitting his band over his "extremely unethical" behavior.

Yong Jun-hyung, 29, of the boy band Highlight, apologized for his actions after admitting to watching a sex video which had been illegally filmed and uploaded onto a chatroom by fellow pop star and friend Jung Joon-young.

"I received a video from Jung and did have inappropriate conversations," Yong said in a statement posted to his Instagram, according to a translation by the South Korean news agency Yonhap. "All these behaviors were extremely unethical, and I was stupid. 

"I'll leave Highlight since I realized the seriousness of the issue and don't want it to bring further damage to my fans, who probably were disappointed with me and other band members. I'll live reflecting on myself over and over again."

Yong’s agency, Around Us Entertainment, confirmed he would be leaving the boy band “to prevent the group’s reputation from being damaged.”

“We learned of the facts through Yong Jun-hyung's witness questioning,” the statement read, reports Allkpop. “After realizing the severity of this situation, Jun-hyung took part in his questioning diligently, and he is now in a deep state of reflection for his past inappropriate actions, as well as for the disappointment that he undoubtedly caused many due to his immorality."

The agency added: "He is also aware that this incident is not one that can be forgiven, and he feels greatly apologetic toward fans of Highlight for breaking their trust and repaying their love with disappointment.”

Jung, 30, who is also a television star in South Korea, has already admitted to secretly filming sexual encounters with at least 10 women and sharing them in a KakaoTalk group chat with other celebrities, including singer Lee Seung-hyun, 28, better known by his stage name Seungri. Yong previously denied he was in the chat along with Jung and Seungri.

On March 11, BIGBANG vocalist Seungri announced his retirement from the music industry following separate accusations that he solicited prostitutes for business partners in exchange for investments. He denies the allegations.

"I will reveal all suspicions that have been sincerely investigated in the matter under investigation," Seungri said in a statement. "In the past month, I have been criticized and hated by the people, and now all the domestic investigative agencies are investigating me. I cannot tolerate myself to live alone and to avoid everyone around me."

The investigation into Jung’s sex videos stemmed from the probe into Suengri’s alleged offenses after police discovered the recordings.

In a statement admitting his guilt, Jung said how he acknowledges “all my sins and actions.”

“Throughout the rest of my life, I will repent on my immoral and illegal acts that constitute crimes," he added.

Jung's management company, Makeus Entertainment, confirmed the star has since been dropped from the label. Both Jung and Seungri have been questioned by police over their alleged involvement in the illicit recordings made during 2015 and 2016.

In 2016, Jung was accused in a separate case of filming an ex-girlfriend without her consent while they had sex, but the allegations were later dropped. According to The Korea Times, Jung was also questioned by police on whether he was cleared because of his close ties to police, with one officer alleged to have tried to tamper with evidence connected to the case.

The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency have warned people not to spread the names of the female victims at the center of the sex video scandal, who are also alleged to be celebrities.

"Since the scandal surfaced, text messages containing the names of female entertainers, framed as victims in the scandal, have been spreading out of control through mobile chat apps," the agency said, reported The Korea Times. "It can cause serious secondary damage to the people listed."

Singer Choi Jong-hoon has also been roped into the scandal after group chat messages suggested that a police official helped him hide the fact that he had previously been caught drunk driving.

In a statement FNC Entertainment said that the singer would be leaving the band FT Island in the wake of the allegations, Reuters reported.

k pop scandal K-pop star Jung Joon-young (C) speaks to the media as he arrives for questioning at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency in Seoul on March 14, 2019. The singer is one of a number of high-profile names who have been roped into the sex video scandal. JUNG YEON-JE/AFP/Getty Images

Join the Discussion

Editor's Pick