Kayleigh McEnany, Stephen Miller Served Jan 6. Subpoenas, Accused of Violating Hatch Act

The House select committee investigating the January 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol released its sixth batch of subpoenas Tuesday to former officials in the Trump administration, including Stephen Miller and Kayleigh McEnany.

The subpoenas to Miller and McEnany, who previously served as White House adviser and press secretary respectively, are based on alleged false statements they made regarding baseless claims of voter fraud.

Also on Tuesday, both Miller and McEnany—along with Jared Kushner and Kellyanne Conway—were among a group of Trump officials accused of violating the Hatch Act by a watchdog group.

Kayleigh McEnany
Kayleigh McEnany and Stephen Miller were among the former officials in the Trump administration subpoenaed by the Jan. 6 committee on Tuesday. The two were also accused of violating the Hatch Act in a watchdog report. In this photo, McEnany is seen during a White House briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House December 15, 2020 in Washington, DC. Alex Wong/Getty Images

Among those also issued subpoenas were former Trump personal assistant Nicholas Luna; Molly Michael, special assistant to the president and Oval Office operations coordinator; Benjamin Williamson, who served as deputy assistant to the president and senior advisor to Chief of Staff Mark Meadows; former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Christopher Liddell; former White House Personnel Director John McEntee; Keith Kellogg, who served as former Vice President Mike Pence's national security advisor; Cassidy Hutchinson, who was special assistant to the president for legislative affairs; and Kenneth Klukowski, the former senior counsel to Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark.

In a press statement announcing the subpoenas, the committee wrote of McEnany: "As a White House Press Secretary you made multiple public statements from the White House and elsewhere about purported fraud in the November 2020 election, which individuals who attacked the U.S. Capitol echoed on Jan. 6."

The committee said of Miller: "You and your team prepared former President Trump's remarks for the rally on the Ellipse on Jan. 6, you were at the White House that day, and you were with Trump when he spoke at the 'Stop the Steal' rally."

"The Select Committee wants to learn every detail of what went on in the White House on January 6th and in the days beforehand," Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in the press release. "We need to know precisely what role the former President and his aides played in efforts to stop the counting of the electoral votes and if they were in touch with anyone outside the White House attempting to overturn the outcome of the election."

The new round of subpoenas comes only a day after the committee issued them to six former Trump administration and campaign officials. On that list were Bill Stepien, Jason Miller, Angela McCallum, John Eastman, Michael Flynn and Bernard Kerik.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. Office of Special Counsel (OSC) released a report in which it stated that 13 top Trump administration officials violated the terms of the Hatch Act in the run-up to the 2020 elections.

The Hatch Act restricts federal employees from engaging in political activities while on duty. The nonpartisan watchdog OSC said 11 of the officials named in its report violated the act during "official interviews or media appearances."

Along with McEnany, Miller, Kushner and Conway, the other names who made up those 11 cited were Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette; White House Director of Strategic Communications Alyssa Farah; U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman; White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows; White House Deputy Press Secretary Brian Morgenstern; National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien; and Chief of Staff to the Vice President Marc Short.

The OSC said two other Trump administration officials—former Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf—violated the act during the 2020 Republican National Convention.

The OSC cannot enforce any disciplinary actions against named officials who have left office, but it said the report aims to document the violations.

Following the announcement of the subpoenas, Trump released a statement attacking the select committee in a message that contained further baseless, fraudulent claims regarding the presidential election.