Kobe Bryant's High School Career Footage Could Be Sold for up to $350,000

Footage of Kobe Bryant's high school games could fetch up to $350,000 at an auction next month.

Some 22 hours worth of footage of the late Los Angeles Lakers star, who died in a helicopter crash on January 26, will be showcased by auction house Profiles in History and sold in one lot on July 23.

Approximately 60 percent of the footage is of Bryant playing high-school basketball for Lower Merion Aces in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, while the remaining 40 percent consists of interview footage. The auction company estimates the archive material could be sold for a price between $250,000 and $350,000.

The footage is part of award-winning producer Stu Ross' Before They Were Pros Media Library.

Over almost 10 years, Ross and his crew recorded over 35,000 high school games, which included approximately 130 hours of footage of more than 700 past and current professional athletes—including the likes of former Bryant's teammate Shaquille O'Neal, three-time NBA champion LeBron James and six-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady.

All the footage, which was digitized four years ago, will be sold together next month.

According to Profiles in History, licensing agreements to use the footage have already been made with ESPN for one of its 30 for 30 documentaries, Kobe Bryant's Muse documentary which was released in 2015 and HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

A limited license, meanwhile, was provided in perpetuity to Bryant's former school.

"No one will ever have access to this type of exclusive footage ever again," Profiles in History's CEO Joseph Maddalena said in a statement.

"Making the value of this library even more relevant is the phenomenal recent success of sports documentaries like The Last Dance on ESPN. The potential of this comprehensive library is limitless."

Bryant became a high-school phenomenon during four seasons at Lower Merion, earning the accolades of Naismith High School Player of the Year, Parade All-American and McDonald's All-American.

After going 4-20 in Bryant's freshman season, the Aces posted a combined 77-13 record over the next three years.

In his final season at Lower Merion, Bryant led the Aces to their first state championship in 53 years and a 31-3 record, averaging 30.8 points, 12 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 4 steals, and 3.8 blocks.

After leaving high school, Bryant skipped college to directly enter the NBA and was selected with the 13th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets in the 1996 NBA Draft.

The Hornets immediately traded him to the Lakers in exchange for center Vlade Divac as per the terms of the trade the two teams had agreed before the draft—the Lakers specifically told the Hornets to select Bryant as the draft unfolded.

As the Los Angeles Times reported at the time, however, the agreement was put in jeopardy after Divac, who had played seven seasons with the Lakers, threatened to retire rather than be traded.

The Serb eventually relented joined the Hornets, with Bryant signing for the Lakers in one of the great sliding-doors moments in NBA history.

During a two-decade career with the Lakers, Bryant was an 18-time All-Star, won five NBA titles and was twice named NBA Finals MVP.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
Kobe Bryant #24 of the Los Angeles Lakers during the first half of a game against the Houston Rockets at Staples Center on March 30, 2007 in Los Angeles, California. Bryant died on last month along with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven other people in a helicopter crash just outside Los Angeles. Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty
Kobe Bryant's High School Career Footage Could Be Sold for up to $350,000 | Sports